Thread: Olifants River between Witbank and Middelburg

Default Olifants River between Witbank and Middelburg

Morning gents (and the odd lady),

I've got a nice spot on the Olifants river. I've seen some muddies there, but will you find any yellows in that river?

There be SmallMouth
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    There be SmallMouth
    that's very good news!

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

CJ, I live in Witbank and also have access to some private water between Witbank and Middleburg. I have seen some Muddies too, but I cannot say for certain that I have seen yellows in the river.

If you have a good section of river, there should be some though, since I have seen them in one of the stillwaters along the Olifants River's path. That was some years ago though and the were not present in great numbers. As to the species, I don't know them well enough...

If you get any, let us know.

Regards,
    PTN

Hi guys.

Did you say "Private water"?

There sure are small scale yellows in that stretch of the river along with muddies, barbel, carp and some bass.
    I have not been privelaged enough to fish "Private water" along that stretch but i have managed to get some fishing in and the fish are there, just not so easy to catch.
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Tail Nymph View Post
    CJ, I live in Witbank and also have access to some private water between Witbank and Middleburg. I have seen some Muddies too, but I cannot say for certain that I have seen yellows in the river.

If you have a good section of river, there should be some though, since I have seen them in one of the stillwaters along the Olifants River's path. That was some years ago though and the were not present in great numbers. As to the species, I don't know them well enough...

If you get any, let us know.

Regards,
    PTN
    There are Smallmouth yellows in Witbank dam too...loads.

CJ!!! I told you about the river already man!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Ja..ja.....ek werk hier met 'n plan! Kry jy net jou float jube reg, jy gaan hom nodig kry daar waar ons gaan!

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I have heard about the yellows just in front of dam wall at Witbank dam, but never actually saw them. If I could just get a boat to explore... Free access to Witbank dam shouldn't be too hard in the near future, either. I have a friend who will be building a house next to the dam soon.

Regards,
    PTN

please send me any photos of the fish you get there, especially the mudfish and yellows, as they could be indigenous or exotic to the system, which makes ID difficult. I'm interested to see what mudfish species it is, and whether the exotic smallmouths are dominating the indigenous smallscales.
    There might not be any smallmouths there at all, which should make your fishing more challenging.
    Good luck

There are alien smallies in the system, reported to and in the Yellowfish Working Group.

Carl