Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I have 4 carpenter fish. Definitely going to try your recipe with at least one of them. Thanks a lot!
    WHERE did you nail/find/beg/borrow thosefish Chris???
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Lardbeast View Post
    Hit? I say we dip him in chocolate and throw him to the lesbians...

YES PLEEEEEEEEASE!! ... me too!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    I was starting to worry you were fishing with Dutch East India Company's cannonballs as beadheads....
    They are too light - you need at least three on a line to get down for carpenter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    WHERE did you nail/find/beg/borrow thosefish Chris???
    Hot contacts Boet. I know the captain (Capt Dawie Erasmus) of that new multi million rand scientific research vessel that was launched a few months back. He has just returned from a trip where they were doing some research on spawning grounds. These fish were taken for examination. Damn nice job this guy has hey!? But can you believe it, he doesn't eat fish! Lucky me!!
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 14-05-08 at 01:01 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Found the following info on his ship;

SA's new marine-research vessel launched
    Friday, 21 September 2007
    The Department of Environmental Affairs' new dedicated research vessel, the Ellen Khuzwayo, was launched by Environmental Affairs Minister Marthinus van Schalkwyk in Cape Town on Thursday.
    Van Schalkwyk said the ship would be used mainly for inshore research, including work on crayfish, linefish, seabirds, marine mammals and sharks. It would also be used for diving operations and for monitoring and researching oceanographic conditions.

"With the global community increasingly realising the challenges of climate change, we will now be more prepared to monitor these changes in the oceans closer to our own shores," Van Schalkwyk said

The ship is equipped with two fully-fitted laboratories, one for fish sampling and another for ceanographic studies, plus advanced acoustic equipment for fish surveys and state-of-the-art oceanographic equipment.

It carries a crew of 13 and has accommodation for eight scientists. Designed to operate in the waters of the southern African region, it can freely range South Africa's 200 nautical mile economic exclusion zone and can stay at sea for over two weeks.

The ship is named after the late Dr Ellen Khuzwayo, a prominent figure in the struggle against apartheid.

Sapa
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Cos the struggle heroes were such a great seafaring lot, what a fitting title for a tub.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Cos the struggle heroes were such a great seafaring lot, what a fitting title for a tub.
    Yes, can you believe it? Guess they are banking on this ship being featured quite prominently in the news in the future, got to give it a name that's befitting you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Found the following info on his ship;

SA's new marine-research vessel launched
    Friday, 21 September 2007
    The Department of Environmental Affairs' new dedicated research vessel, the Ellen Khuzwayo, was launched by Environmental Affairs Minister Marthinus van Schalkwyk in Cape Town on Thursday.
    Van Schalkwyk said the ship would be used mainly for inshore research, including work on crayfish, linefish, seabirds, marine mammals and sharks. It would also be used for diving operations and for monitoring and researching oceanographic conditions.

"With the global community increasingly realising the challenges of climate change, we will now be more prepared to monitor these changes in the oceans closer to our own shores," Van Schalkwyk said

The ship is equipped with two fully-fitted laboratories, one for fish sampling and another for ceanographic studies, plus advanced acoustic equipment for fish surveys and state-of-the-art oceanographic equipment.

It carries a crew of 13 and has accommodation for eight scientists. Designed to operate in the waters of the southern African region, it can freely range South Africa's 200 nautical mile economic exclusion zone and can stay at sea for over two weeks.

The ship is named after the late Dr Ellen Khuzwayo, a prominent figure in the struggle against apartheid.

Sapa
    Do you think they would let us borrow it,I am sure there is lots of research we could do on there..
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Do you think they would let us borrow it,I am sure there is lots of research we could do on there..
    That advanced acoustic equipment for fish sounds like fun stuff to play around with. I've never heard a fish farting yet!

You ever been under water when Herman's shatting himself afore the rapids??

++

Re carpenters, I was looking at R vd Elst's old saltwater book and he reckons the name is a derivative of 'Kaapenaar', i.e. one from the Cape, as that's where the guys are predominantly found.

Interesting, may we have a Carpenter 0.5 fishing bash?
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast