Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dave's Flexament

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Hi CJ,

I also use Loon's Head Cement to finish my flies, but find the Flexement works better for coating feathers. The Head cement takes ages to dry when you use a lot of it, like for coating feathers and it also seems to make the feather go a bit white/grey when it dries.
    I rub it in with my fingers. I found this helps if you want to get a nice thin layer of cement over the feathers. It then sets clear and you dont have the problem with that white/grey colour.

Hello Fellow Fly Fisherman.I have tried the following as a substitute for Dave's Flexament. While not quite as good it does the job and is cheap and available everywhere. Get a tube of Genkem Super Contact glue.Tube and not the tub as it stays fresher longer and is easier to dispense.Get a bottle of Genkem Contact Glue cleaner to use as a solvent.If you have an empty nail varnish bottle the type with the brush then you have all you will need.Make a mix of about 50/50 contact and cleaner.If you want it thicker or thinner than change the mix.50/50 is a good starting point.Then you can do one of three things.If you want really durable folded wings then:-
    1.Pinch some teabags from the pantry and discard the tea.Peel the bags open. Coat one one side.Line up your feather and paint through the feather onto the teabag.let dry and then trim to size and use.I have one fly done this way that has caught 5 trout and is still in good shape.
    2. Do the same but use kraft paper.The kind used for kiddies school book covering.One side has a waterproof plastic coating and the other side is the side you use. Same procedure as above.Not as durable as the teabag paper but will keep you out of trouble with the Ball and Chain.
    If you just want a coated feather then:-
    3.Ideally get a piece of silicone release paper.Available any CNA as a backing paper for self adhesive materials.Throw away the self adhesive stuff and keep the silicone paper.paint a patch and then lay your feather on the patch and paint through.TIP.If you drag the feather slightly towards the quill then the fibers will line up very nicely.!! Let dry,peel off, trim and use.
    Another tip.If you want to fold and trim the feather to shape then put a piece of scrap clean paper into the fold and then trim.If you don't do this then the feather will stick together on the trimmed edge and is difficult to get apart again.

I use to make Flexament
    Use shoe Patch thinned with Toluene
    Works like a charm
    Fish For The Future
    Please Catch And Release

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3