Thread: flowrate dilema

Default flowrate dilema

can anyone inform me of the location(more or less) of the goose bay canyon flow meter on the vaal. the difference between that meter and the barage does not make sense at the moment. i know the meter is not allways correct but its fluctuations in flow normally track the barrages outflow . at present it doesn't. i'm normally not to conserned about flowrate - but with the current fishing even 2 cumecs makes a big difference.

thanx
    herman

AFAIK Goosebay is above Eendekuil, 12 or 13 kms below the barrage.
    Last edited by Scythe; 21-05-08 at 01:14 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

See the Map. FTLOM I don't know why there is a variance, possibly a big toilet flush somewhere!!! ;-0 All major tribs run into the Barrage so we will have to get Scully out there to investigate.
    http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/Maps/Upper%20Vaal.HTM

Spare a thought for the guys at Klipplaatdrift, they will never ever fish again ;-)

C2H061 Stage Data Photo Vaal at Klipplaatdrift 2008-05-21 06:00 16.293 3993.10

Don't worry the flow and viz is perfect for fishing.

I'm not so sure about the accuracy of that, I fish my usual spot all the time and I rate the flows to be closer to 11 or maybe 15 at a stretch than it is to 24.

The big pools are hardly moving and the rocks are poking out all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by flybum View Post
    the flowrate increased over the past 3 days at goosebay and the barrage was open at 17 constant . thats what i cant understand ? i like to pick my spot before i even leave town so i always chek the rates - but this is now a bit of a problem.

herman
    Herman, I have found that the Barrage figures are more accurate then Goosebay's. 2 weeks ago the Barrage was showing 12, Goosebay 25.
    Scythe and I fished about 4k's upstream of Goosebay and the flows were more like 10.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

It's up to 20 for today ... hmm odd though ... no rain to speak of ... why would they be letting out water ?

Don't they understand they are messing with my viz and fishing ?
    Last edited by Scythe; 21-05-08 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    It's up to 20 for today ... hmm odd though ... no rain to speak of ... why would they be letting out water ?

Don't they understand they are messing with my viz and fishing ?
    From heresay I believe that they are trying to "flush" the river below the barrage, as well as "flush" the cr*p flowing in above the barrage. There are some sereiously wealthy people who own properties on Loch Vaal who do not like the stench of sewage from the Rietspruit when they come down for a weekend,
    The solution? Build up the level above the barrage from Saterday to Thur eve then open up the gates to enable a non natural flow to get rid of at least the smell.???

Again, heresay. There again driving over the Vaal from VDB to Sasol today I noticed that the water level against the jetty's was surprisingly low, about a 2 foot difference.

Why else are they letting water out???????????
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Could be time for that bi-annual maintenance to the jetties/docks ?