View Poll Results: What would you rather have done with your trophy fish? (C&R not an option!)

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • A nice, clean, well- mounted fish skeleton.

12 41.38%
  • A kitchy plastic cast that looks nothing like the real fish...

17 58.62%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: DIY Fish Skeleton

How was lunch Chris???? Now begins the task of removing all the frozen maggots. After giving everything a good rinse, you painstakingly begin removing bones, drawing diagrams of where they fit in, and labeling each cleaned bone with masking tape.
    The parts that still have a lot of flesh you pour boiling water over, which makes it easier to strip off.
    This will take all day, up to 7 hours if you work carefully. Of course you have to eat in between. No matter how much you wash your hands, the smell doesn't come off. Every time you lift a forkfull of food towards your mouth, you catch a
    whiff, which makes swallowing VERY hard....
    Believe me, you must have a stomach of Iron to do this and survive to tell the tale!

Im starting to think that fake plastic cast is not such a bad idea after all...
    Never mistake knowledge for wisdom.

I think I've seen enough..........cheers!

This is nothing!
    Here we are using dead rabbits and fox fur, some even salvage it on the roadside and we cannot stand the innards of a fish?

Fascinating stuff this, really fascinating, the time you go through to delicately remove some of the bones that is more fragile than porcelain, I commend you for your dedication!

Thanks MyWorld- yeah, some of those bones are pretty delicate, especially the gill arches. One wouldn't think so at first, looking at how tough a barbel's skull is!
    The worst is over, tomorrow will be better. guys, its not that bad. I just think the city air is making some of you a bit soft...

I'm one of those who has used roadkills to tie flies, and damn effective ones too. Maybe its the added flavour

Do you guys think Chris has fallen ill??? The silence is kind of spooky...

hehe, Carl, you crack me up bru!

If the skeleton comes complete with the flies in the pics, I now vote skeleton. Suitably grim, man..
    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

No dude, the flies went straight into my entomology collection, which was also due for the end of term!!!!

Actually they didn't- they were too fast and I didn't have my net on me. Could have got 5 species off that head!

Thank you, kind scholar, I only finished lunch about ten minutes ago so your maggoty epithets so far have remained immune to my bowels
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Thank you, kind scholar, I only finished lunch about ten minutes ago so your maggoty epithets so far have remained immune to my bowels
    Chris beware this mans no fool, his maggots will kindle your bowels for sure
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

I only hope I can stomach whatever he brings up
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast