View Poll Results: What would you rather have done with your trophy fish? (C&R not an option!)

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • A nice, clean, well- mounted fish skeleton.

12 41.38%
  • A kitchy plastic cast that looks nothing like the real fish...

17 58.62%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: DIY Fish Skeleton

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Can I courier a catch to you.That looks awesome.It is something unique and definately something I would consider doing,especially with Catfish and carp if possible.Just dont know how to boil 20kg catfish.
    For a Boertjie, I'm Suprised.

Just use Ouma's 30 Gallon Pooitjie with Haardekool.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

20kg barbel would be quite a job! Especially the boiling!

Tried out a new method, and one used by museums worldwide- Museum beetles (Dermestidae-carcass beetles). I had a couple of them in a box with mealworms and used them to clean a tigerfish head...came out beautiful and clean, with all the bones remaining attached!

Dear Clarias,

Thanks for the PM, I replied separately!

Glad you're back in action!

My only gripe is your talking about boiling barbel, and meal worms eating tiger fish flesh, whilst I'm busy settling into 'Sundowners' and about to take the Missus for a romantic Valentine's fish dinner!!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

That sounds much easier.I think I am going to try this challenge.Give me a year or so and I will post the outcome.Its not everyday that I will find a fish that size on fly, but all the more for the challenge.Post some more pics if you have.

Corefly, the beetle technique is pretty well established. You should be able to google Dermestids, Dermestarium, or Museum beetle cultures.

I would try and remove as much flesh as possible. Put the flesh in a pile somewhere in the sun and you should have beetles arriving pretty soon. If too many maggots turn up, try something with a little more air in it like a fish skull. The beetles are about 1cm long with a black and white pattern. Their grubs are very bristly, and easy to find on large carcasses of animals in the veld.

I would keep them in a large plastic box with sawdust or bran on the bottom. For added effect you could add some meal worms to the bran. Best is to keep it covered with a large cloth and elastic, so that the humidity and airflow stays constant. Try keep the culture at room temperature in e.g. your garage.

the best way to prevent getting the spine bones jumbled up is to run a wire along the spinal cord. cut the head and tail off and just thread the wire through.

I wouldn't give the whole thing to the beetles all at once. I would give them small sections until you've got a massive population of beetles and grubs. I think they need to eat the head pretty quickly so they can chow the skin on the top of the barbel skull before it dries. I would feed them the skull last. The nice thing with the beetles is that most of the bones stay attatched as opposed to boiling. If you do need to find out where all the bones fit though, I have got a paper that might help.

PM me if you'd like to know anything else. is the the large fish in the photo on the flytalk site? Good luck!

And make food pellets with the beatle shit!!

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Thanks for that.I have caught one or two of that size but released them.There is a photo somewhere here of my 20kg and 13kg.I catch alot of 10kg cats which i think will look just as impressive.The next one I catch wont be lucky enough to be released.
    I will definately pm you when I get stuck.

Fishing Adventures Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by clarias View Post
    Hi there guys,
    our second year Ichthy project involved building a fish skeleton and mounting it. It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun! Great way to learn how a fish works and where all it's bones are.
    I will post one picture a day, step by step...
    I cannot vote on the poll because there is another option that I use for my clients. We take measurements and photographs and photograph any unusual markings or scars. You can then take this to serveral taxidermists who can make you a replica just like the one you caught, and you do not need to kill the fish.

FA

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8