Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Ideal setup?

Thanks Pieter

When you say the GT4 does not like rough handling what exactly do you mean? Hope it does not sound like a stupid question but I am in no mood to bring a premature end to the one I have just purchased!
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Thanks Pieter

When you say the GT4 does not like rough handling what exactly do you mean? Hope it does not sound like a stupid question but I am in no mood to bring a premature end to the one I have just purchased!
    The one is a town car and the other a 4x4.
    Fish with it as how you would drive your town car on a not so good road
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    The one is a town car and the other a 4x4.
    Fish with it as how you would drive your town car on a not so good road
    Bru then that rod does not stand a hope in hell! My astra is the best 4X4 by far! Ok, Grant's dropped suspension mazda will give it a go...
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Thanks Pieter

Look after it. It is a High Modulus Graphite, dont cast heavy beaded flies into the tip is you can help it, dont bang it againsts things, the normal care you should be taking with graphite actually. Us South African(me included) is very hard on our rods.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    Hi guys,

I've never fished for yellowfish before , I know.

What is the ideal setup to fish for yellows in the Vaal?
    1. Rod length?
    2. Rod weight?
    3. Reel?
    4. Line?
    5. Leader?
    Ideal, as is not breaking the bank, but not breaking the blank on the first outing either

Cheers
    1. 10ft - modern 10ft rod has no down side over a 9ft rod, plus can mend/each better, as well as keep you further from the fish/cover more water when Czech nymphing. I use a 10ft 5wt Stealth Magnum
    2. 5wt rod - more sensitive than the 10ft 6wt, which I reserve for heavy flow days in general.
    3. Stealth Ultra Large Arbour - here I fish the largest possible - the Size 3. In most cases, the bigger model of the LA reel is not much heavier than the mid-sized model (both have the same drag/spindle etc), but for little extra weight has a better line pickup/retrieve. On a budget - you could go for a LA grahite reel if necessary.
    4. 4 (FOUR) wt nymph line - I underline my 5wt - this gives better sensitivity & take detection when czech nymphing. When normal nymphing close in, there is no practical difference and once you start laying out a full line (with dry flies) - you will not notice a difference (or fish a 5wt in winter when you know you will fish dries)
    5. Flourocarbon - 3X/4X combo or 4X/5X combo - I use Airflo G3 for all nymphing. The thinner line sinks a lot faster than a thicker butt section leader. For dry fly - a tapered 9ft mono leader + 3-5ft tippet - usually 5-6X works for me.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Thanks for the input guys.

Looks like I'm down to 2 rods:
    Vision 3zone 10ft 5wt
    Stealth Magnum 10ft 5wt

Reel wise, I'm hoping to get a spare spool for my Scierra. Failing that, I'll have to look at my budget again. Quite fancy the Vision Koma reel (based on looks only )

Line wise I'm set on the Airflo yellowfish line

Cheers for all the advise. Keep it coming
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    Thanks for the input guys.

Looks like I'm down to 2 rods:
    Vision 3zone 10ft 5wt
    Stealth Magnum 10ft 5wt

Reel wise, I'm hoping to get a spare spool for my Scierra. Failing that, I'll have to look at my budget again. Quite fancy the Vision Koma reel (based on looks only )

Line wise I'm set on the Airflo yellowfish line

Cheers for all the advise. Keep it coming
    I have spoken to Phillip and Liam about the Koma and they both reckon its a really soild real and not badly priced at all either!

I am most likely gonna get the 3zone and the Koma so when i go i will give you a shout and you can come have a cast!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    I have spoken to Phillip and Liam about the Koma and they both reckon its a really soild real and not badly priced at all either!

I am most likely gonna get the 3zone and the Koma so when i go i will give you a shout and you can come have a cast!
    Cheers Matt
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    If some other stupid idiot ever put his un-educated hand into my tying box, my fly box or my fishing pack, he would, so to say, pay with his casting arm...
    *sigh*

It was only a matter of frikken time...
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Bru then that rod does not stand a hope in hell! My astra is the best 4X4 by far! Ok, Grant's dropped suspension mazda will give it a go...
    BRING IT MOFO!!!! YOu will eat dust!!!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6