Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Tippet sizes - X, Dia, Lbs, Kgs

  1. #11
    Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    i'm still trying to figure out the difference between 0X and 1X.
    The "X" reting, means the mono has been streached out to "X" times its origional length. So it the original lengh is 1, what is 0X??
    Andre, the way I understand it, the "X" system comes from the time they used animal gut. The "0X" meant that the gut wasn't pulled through a die that thins it. "1x" meant it was pulled through once, "2x" meant it was pulled through twice. When people started using monofilament, they simply used the X-system to classify the diameter in a way fisherman would understand. That's what I read in Bill Hansford Steele's African Flyfishing Handbook.

    Kind regards and thanks, Michael,
    PTN

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Tail Nymph View Post
    Andre, the way I understand it, the "X" system comes from the time they used animal gut. The "0X" meant that the gut wasn't pulled through a die that thins it. "1x" meant it was pulled through once, "2x" meant it was pulled through twice. When people started using monofilament, they simply used the X-system to classify the diameter in a way fisherman would understand. That's what I read in Bill Hansford Steele's African Flyfishing Handbook.

    Kind regards and thanks, Michael,
    PTN
    Well, well...live and learn...thanx

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    6,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flybum View Post
    mono definately do not go vrot if you store it out of sunlight & heat. lefty kreh did a experiment to test knot strength in mono over a period of time(think it was 3 years -can't find the book now) . there was hardly any difference in breaking strain over that period of time.
    Myth busted...the tackle shops want to make money Esse!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    5,060

    Default

    thanks mike
    very usefull and like you said, for anyone wanting to try and get an idea and at a better price for sure. one day when i'm big i won't have to look at the price tag.
    thanks and printed.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

    my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Very useful chart this Michael, thanx. It got me wondering though, what happened to the stroft that everyone was talking about a while ago? That was pretty amazing as far as Diameter vs. breaking strain goes wasn't it, something like 0.16mm - 3kg/6.6lb.
    I'm currently using Araty diamond and I'm quite impressed with the stuff, its strong, abrasion resistant, got a fluoro coating and best of all cheap Think it cost me somewhere in the region of R40 for 900Yds

    Rob

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    6,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babyson View Post
    Very useful chart this Michael, thanx. It got me wondering though, what happened to the stroft that everyone was talking about a while ago? That was pretty amazing as far as Diameter vs. breaking strain goes wasn't it, something like 0.16mm - 3kg/6.6lb.
    I'm currently using Araty diamond and I'm quite impressed with the stuff, its strong, abrasion resistant, got a fluoro coating and best of all cheap Think it cost me somewhere in the region of R40 for 900Yds

    Rob
    Hey Rob

    I use Diamond Araty too, their "3X" and "2X" equivalent diameter mono. It's AWESOME "verby"!
    Then on 0X, 1X, 4X, 5X I use the DoubleX Platinum Plus mono's.
    Stroft is good, although you have to seat your knots very carefully, I've snapped off a few times...I find the DoubleX Platinum Plus more forgiving. Stroft is very strong though...excellent diameter vs breaking strain. Price is heavy though.

    Still trying to find really good 6X and 7X substitutes...I agree with Herman B, the Rio Powerflex is very good, I still use their 6X and 7X.
    I've heard some good things about the Suffix mono's as well.

    Braid...now there's a new tippet substitute experiment for summer!!

    Mike
    Last edited by Michael; 24-06-08 at 10:32 PM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    3,511

    Default

    Howzit okes

    I must admit I quickly scanned through this thread so sorry if I missed anything with regards to my question:

    What is the correct length of a leader (tippet included)? If you purchase a leader from the shop, it is a standard 9ft, then you add a certain length of tippet, cool! But what is ideal? I have seen / heard of okes using 20ft leaders (tippet included), if I had to try that out, my leader will look like that new Audi A4 add with the string....I will have so many knots...

    Does this depend on the depth of the run? The longer the leader / tippet the easier the flies will reach the bottom?

    rolleyes:

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    5,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Howzit okes

    I must admit I quickly scanned through this thread so sorry if I missed anything with regards to my question:

    What is the correct length of a leader (tippet included)? If you purchase a leader from the shop, it is a standard 9ft, then you add a certain length of tippet, cool! But what is ideal? I have seen / heard of okes using 20ft leaders (tippet included), if I had to try that out, my leader will look like that new Audi A4 add with the string....I will have so many knots...

    Does this depend on the depth of the run? The longer the leader / tippet the easier the flies will reach the bottom?

    rolleyes:
    You do not need a 20ft leader plop and drop fishing

    I always buy 9ft tapered leaders(sp) and then add a couple of feet, i know that some of the stream guys down hear use16-17ft leaders but when i have asked they adviced that i should leave the long leaders to the big boys
    I have tried a couple of longer leaders and i was all over the place,i would stick within the 9-12ft range......its safer.
    Last edited by nicholas; 25-06-08 at 06:37 AM.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.


    [T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    3,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    You do not need a 20ft leader plop and drop fishing

    I always buy 9ft tapered leaders(sp) and then add a couple of feet, i know that some of the stream guys down hear use16-17ft leaders but when i have asked and they adviced that i should leave the long leaders to the big boys
    I have tried a couple of longer leaders and i was all over the place,i would stick within the 9-12ft range......its safer.
    Well, when I fished with Herman the other day using dries, I used the standad 9ft with about 2 to 3 ft of 3x tippet...got me my fish...

    I was just wondering if you fish wet flies, would that not be better using a long leader with the flies spaced about 40 cm's from each other sort of thing

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    5,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Well, when I fished with Herman the other day using dries, I used the standad 9ft with about 2 to 3 ft of 3x tippet...got me my fish...

    I was just wondering if you fish wet flies, would that not be better using a long leader with the flies spaced about 40 cm's from each other sort of thing
    I think the experts might have to step in in a minute, but i suppose its down to how skitish the fish are,i know that longer lighter tippet is always adviced on the streams.........when i set up a dry and dropper i use my the same leader with a couple of foot extra then i add another 40-50cm for the other fly...ending up with 12ft leader with both flies attached.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.


    [T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •