Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jacobs GRHE variation - Step-by-Step

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Default Jacobs GRHE variation - Step-by-Step

This is the variation of the Gold Ribbed Hears Ear as tied by PJ Jacobs for Sterkfontein and other stillwaters for Smallmouth yellowfish. This fly is also found in Pj's contribution in Favoured Flies and Select Techniques of the Experts volume 2. I limited the photos as most beginners will see on other SBS's how to do the individual steps. If there is any unclarity, you are most welcome to ask. I apologize for the poor pictures.

Recipe

hook:
    Grip 14731 or similar with bead head (on smaller hooks use tungsten beads
    Thread:
    Brown or black UNI thread
    Tail:
    Guard hairs from a hairs mask
    Rib:
    Oval gold tinsel over the abdomen
    Abdomen:
    Hare's ear plus dubbing, natural(I use the soft fluff of a hairs mask.
    Thorax:
    Blended hare's mask fur, dark brown

Steps
    Step 1:Slip the bead onto the hook, place it in the vice, and start the thread, running it a little down the bend. Cut some guard hairs and remove the fluff at the bases. Keep this for the abdomen. Tie in the tail and after securing well, slip the thread under the tail before making two or so more wraps. This lifts the tail from the hook shank slightly.

Step 2:Tie in the ribbing onto the side of the hook. Run the thread to where the tail was tied in and spin the dubbing onto the thread in a thin noodle.

Step 3:Wind the dubbing noodle forward in close turns and stop two thirds up the shank. Then wind the ribbing forward in even turns. A rotary vise works well for this, but if you have a vise like mine, make ten or so turns of thread over the thorax region before turning the vise jaws in the same direction as the thread. Remember to hold the ribbing in the other hand to keep the turns even. The extra thread wraps will turn off, but you will be able to see the ribbing every step of the way. Secure the ribbing at the end of the abdomen.

Continued below.

Step 4: Spin the guard hairs, together with the fluff this time, onto the thread. Your thread must be well waxed. You want this abdomen really bushy with lots of guard hairs standing out. Wrap this noodle up to the bead.
    Then, place your first and second finger on the thread as shown.

Step 5:While keeping tension on the thread with your other hand, turn your hand so that the thread crosses as shown.

Step 6:Hook this loop around the shank behind the bead. Place your bobbin into the loop and slowly but firmly pull the bobbin until the loop has closed around the shank behind the bead.

Step 7: Repeat this one or two more times and then cut the thread. Note the bushy thorax on the finished fly.

This fly caught me my first three yellows, including the one in my avatar. It works very well tied below a strike indicator. It helps to have a slightly oversized bead.

Any advice on improving my SBS's would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
    PTN

Very nice fly , and yes that is a good yellow you got.

KEEP them coming youngster.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

PTN

Sweet variation!

Lekker om jou weer aan die gang te sien! Jy is nie veronderstel om in jou vakansie voor die PC te sit nie! Gaan vang vis Ou Grote!

Cheers

Koos

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    PTN

Sweet variation!

Lekker om jou weer aan die gang te sien! Jy is nie veronderstel om in jou vakansie voor die PC te sit nie! Gaan vang vis Ou Grote!

Cheers

Koos
    JA, en nooi poppernel saam
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    PTN

Sweet variation!

Cheers

Koos
    Thanks Koos,

Ja, ek moet bietjie gaan visvang. Ek wens net daar gebeur iets by die dam, iets meer as die vorige drie keer wat ek daar was.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    JA, en nooi poppernel saam
    Poppernel kan graag saamkom as hy in Witbank kan kom.

Groete,
    PTN

HI P.T.N,
    Nee wat, dog jy's hier in die Bedford aria besig, nie da in daai gangster plek nie.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Tail Nymph View Post
    Thanks Koos,

Ja, ek moet bietjie gaan visvang. Ek wens net daar gebeur iets by die dam, iets meer as die vorige drie keer wat ek daar was.
    Hey Tjomma jy sal net weet as jy 'n lyn in die water het! Het daai Olifants nie bietjie die vis laat vrek nie? Ekt gehoor daar was 'n major spil gewees?

Geniet jou vakansie!

Cheers

Koos

Nice one PTN
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Very nice PTN...

Clear, precise and a fine looking result.... well done
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.