73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 41.10%
  • No

43 58.90%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Members Reputations

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Rols, in line with Dave's posts about active members, it's simply a question of guys getting fed-up with being "corrected" and told how, what, where etc by guys that have hardly held a fly rod in their hands. I'm not saying that there should be "automatic respect" for members based on their number of posts and years fishing, but man, if you look at the people that have stopped contributing mainly due to newcomers and beginners being quite disrespectful and at stages just plain rude towards them.

As for moderation ... well, that's a delicate thing. I don't believe this forum will work well if it's moderated (even though moderators have been implemented). This is a very social forum, with more social posts than fly fishing posts, we have to face it. In the past it bothered me, but I have accepted it, and now get "just fishing" banter on various other platforms. The downside to this, is that there is much less regular updates/posts etc on those platforms. However, when/if you get something there, it is of value ito a fishing perspective.

FT has a decent enough balance imho. There are still loads of content in certain places if you "use the search function" . Look a bit further, and check how many replies there are to "fishing" or "fishing related" posts. Not many. "Factual" posts are just read - no-one bothers replying to them anymore. Why, well, my opinion is that many forum members are just here to receive, not to give. I've experienced this on a few other platforms as well, so it's not an isolated case on FT.
    PERFECT!!! LIKE THE RODS YOU BUILD!!! You are a true F/TALKER.:biggrin:
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Getting back to Mario's post, this is very true. But what I am worried about are the spammers here and secondly that this forum must not go bottoms up like Wietz's went.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Good factual post dont need replies.
    Everything is carefully explained.
    Sometimes, the forumers post a question or 2, which leads to a decent discussion.
    With other good informed post, most forumers reads it, but dont practice what is posted.
    They are happy to read, think wow, and that is the end of it. And carry on their merry way.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Good factual post dont need replies.
    Everything is carefully explained.
    Sometimes, the forumers post a question or 2, which leads to a decent discussion.
    With other good informed post, most forumers reads it, but dont practice what is posted.
    They are happy to read, think wow, and that is the end of it. And carry on their merry way.
    So how do you expect the forum to keep being active when there is no replies and interaction?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    So how do you expect the forum to keep being active when there is no replies and interaction?
    Exactly, will be the end of any forum, boring reading through threads already read.
    Dave

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7