Thread: New Zealand name for a Dragonfly

Default New Zealand name for a Dragonfly

I'm hoping Kevin (or possibly one of you other guys) can help me.

A short while ago I came across a dragonfly nymph imitation that was made with a foam body abdomen and I think I remember it having a deer hair head - can't quite remember the head bit.

It had a name that on later research seemed to be a local name for dragonfly nymphs. Anyone know the fly or the name (which are one and the same)?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I think you may be thinking of a CICADA.

It's not a dragonfly nymph, but rather a closer relative to the water boatman and backswimmer (fact!)

They are widely distributed throughout the north and south island and make an appearance during the hot dry summer days as terrestrials that fly/fall into the water. They have an amazingly high pitched sound they emit.

There are some very good imitations around.

Grant, can't think of another name for a dragonfly nymph.

But tied with deer hair and foam does sound like a cicada imitation as Dogtooth points out.

PS. just thought of the Australian name for a dragonfly nymph: mudeye. Where you thinking of this?
    Last edited by KevinE; 08-07-08 at 12:22 AM.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Thanks but i don't think that was it. I have heard of a cicada - this was something i had not heard of.

It has a foam body that has been shaped to look exactly like the abdomen of a dragonfly and then a deer hair head, muddler style. I don't recall anything else on the pattern.

anywho, I will keep looking for it. Wish I could remember where I saw it..
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post

PS. just thought of the Australian name for a dragonfly nymph: mudeye. Where you thinking of this?
    MUDEYE!!! that's the one!! Didn't see that in your post originally - did you edit it in?

Apologies for getting the aussies and the kiwis mixed up.

I found the one I was looking for:

Cubits Mudeye

Shot for the help dudes.

nice looking fly. small post for viz and a cert for the coming season
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Hi Grant
    I am talking under correction here, but I think the term mud-eye is originally from the states.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

When I lived in Oz we also called them mudeyes. Unsure of the origin. The tackle shops used to sell them as 'livebait' for baitfishers, mainly the Gomphidae ones (lil' fat bggers...). Suffice to say I did only use artificial imitations - couldn't stand the thought of impaling the poor guys on a hook anyway...
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Having gone thru a couple of my old Australasian fishing books a moment ago, it seems highly likely this word is actually of Aussie origin, not NZ or USA (OK, go on, kill me....)

As proof, an average Aussie's romanticism reaches his/her linguistic peak with such a descriptive word. Move over Afrikaners with 'skottel' etc!

It's interesting to note in Oz, there are around three hundred species of dragonfly. I know when the local authorities in their wisdom 'drowned' a Tasmanian river to make Lake Pedder (no relo to our famous Murray, who in turn is no relo to the famous river...) the 'mudeyes' took over like
    Cheetahs supporters on a good Saturday arvo at Saloon 2000.

S'pose better to be called a 'mudeye' than a 'greeneye' or a 'browneye'.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)