Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Small & Large Scale Yellows

Hi Guys

When fishing for Small Scale and Large Scale Yellows, be carefull to not only focus your efforts on riffles and fast water, try the murky water about a metre deep close to reeds as well, when doing this very small damsel and dragon imitations will also do the trick.

Another thing do try the back eddies as well.

Indeed there is a whole lot of options as far as rivers are concerned for this species, Olifants River if you can get access somewhere, Pongola River if you want to get away, Assegai River well what I am trying to say there are numerous places. Some of these rivers however are very seasonal, and some even only worth trying in winter.

All that said, truely worth the effort to catch.

Indeed PK and compliments of the season

What also works well in water where you know you have +1Kg sized fish is to lob a small minnow/baitfish immitation.

LS tend to turn piscivorous when they reach the 1.5Kg - 2Kg mark and I have had my rod nearly ripped out of my hands with takes made on fishy flies. They also _love_ structure and schools congregate around undercuts and especially where you have tree roots going into the waterline over an undercut.

Also as you mentioned darker spots in the water with shade are a favourite hangout, especially for bigger fish.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Scythe, it’s exactly like the one in the first link. Don’t think that it would be suitable for tiny patterns like that for LS but it does make a nice change for other species

Scythe, out of interest, you ever try using small damsel patterns below Harties?

Never managed a get me a LS or SS yet, the first time I tried was 12 years ago below Harties when there was little info on catching yellows, imagine trying to catch them with a #8 Jersey Herd, no chance of that happening quickly
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Yes indeed, I was merely pointing out it is better below Harties than above it.

Mayfly, sure why not, I am waiting patiently for the flows to drop and I'm tying a bunch of flies in preparation
    Scyhte, do you have any info on the flows etc for below the Dam wall? Is it fishable now (Say this weekend) with all the rain? Don't know much about the area, so any info would help.

As I said ... I'm waiting patiently ...

Neither DWAF nor RandWater have online resources for this, so I'm getting the number for someone who is right next to the dam wall and works for DWAF.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2