Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Macassor R&S all nighter this coming w/e

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    No they don't, but Andre's "bakkie bar n' kitchen" just might.....when and where?...
    would be great to see you again Andre - I am sure Chris can give you the GPS co-ordinates!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

any luck guys?????
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Eduard did very well, catching his bag of Elf and releasing quite a few along with a few small kabeljou. He seems to have worked the place out nicely, varying the distance of his casting and in typical fashion always busy to and fro between baiting-up station and waters edge. You'll never see him standing for more than 5 minutes in one spot ever! I can quite honestly say he is the most productive R&S fisherman I have ever had the privilege of fishing with. It is an absolute joy and education to fish with him. I picked up one small kob in the same amount of time that it took Eduard to land his 3rd or 4th Elf when I realised that I was casting too far. My first shortened cast produced an Elf of size, and then the two friends from my neighbourhood followed suite, also landing a few, but by that time the wave of Elf was tapering off. Most of the action took place during the 2 hours preceeding high tide (from 12pm to 2am). The fishing went stone dead from 3am onwards (an hour after high). The rest of the crew (Cox and clan) were fishing 100 metres to our right and were mostly targeting toothy critters. I'm not too sure how they did through the night but a few rays came out between them at first light. Was really good to see our newcomer, Grant get into his first ray. The man was elated!

Conditions were really lekker, basically we couldn't have asked for better for an all-nighter, minimal wind, pleasant ambient temperature and warm water! Unfortunately I left my thermometer at home in one of my shirt pockets, but I reckon the water was at least 20 deg C.

All in all, although nothing really noteworthy came out, a good time was had by all. One of these days one of us is going to hit the jackpot, of that I have no doubt! R&S fishing is all about perserverence and those who put in the hours will be rewarded! You are more than welcome to join us next time Stephen. I'm surprised you haven't yet.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 26-01-09 at 01:02 AM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

yeah that was super fun!

thanks for inviting us along chris. i am learning a lot about this type of fishing and really enjoying it.

chris he any of the pics of my fish came out please could you mail them to me? gotta have some proof for the missus that i warmth out raving all night. :-)
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Hi Grant, will do. I took a few shockers! For some reason or other my camera's light meter was not funtioning as it should have, but I will see what i can do to improve the quality on Photoshop before sending to you
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Booger Rose Banned User

Ja, was a lekker night. Chris I think I am just a really bad caster and just don't cast as far out as you guys. It was not realy a case of working it out, was more the luck of just getting my line in the water and hoping for the best. Also thought about my trace length. Made it a bit longer and I think my bait must have drifted very near the top of the water - shad likes it high up and not on the bottom. Trace lenght must have been close to a metre, wil check out when I get back home tonight - the office is keeping me busy!

Strange you should mention your trace length Eduard. I've been thinking about this very thing all day long. I've been getting far too many pick-up and leave kind of takes lately. Now either my bait is suspect, or the fish are feeling resistance and dropping the bait before they have the hook properly in their mouths. I remember experimenting with trace lengths a few years back in Namibia when the fish were biting extremely skelm, and a metre and a half long trace produced a 16.5kg Steenbras! At that stage I also started experimenting with slack-line fishing, and contrary to what one may think, I felt that I could detect bites much quicker than with a taught line. If you think about it, the slack line invariable gets a bow in it which will still essentially keep you in direct contact with your bait, but through the slack-line one can feel the slightest vibration, because, like a guitar string if I may use this comparison, the vibrations become greatly reduced the tighter you wind it. Of late I have become a bit lazy to experiment, because I have mainly been targetting kob and tend to stick with my original winning recipe, but this is proving to be to my detriment when other species are about.

Who said R&S fishing was easy? Boy oh boy, there is a hell of a lot more to it than meets the eye, and one needs to keep on thinking and trying different approaches if one wants to be consistently successful like my good friend Eduard here. I think this is the main reason why I enjoy it so much.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 26-01-09 at 09:44 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7