Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Floating Lines – Vaal

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    What frustration!? You know what will frastrate me?.......a 4kg Yellow taking my brand new JT Floating line around a rock and leave you with a fecked up line. I also have a Cortland Fairplay on my nymphing outfit and I'll rather replace that then a R500 line. Now that leaves you R300 that could be used for fuel and entrance!!!
    IMHO you dont need a line to cast well if you are nymphing, why buy a expensive line if you're not going to use it?
    I don't say you should spend as much as you can, it is point less to get into the tackle race and buy the most expensive equipment and you cannot afford to use it. But I think it depends a moer of a hou what your mindset is like, and that will determine what you are willing to trade for your pasion, ( directionaly proportional to what your passion is worth to you)

Mony spend on fishing, is for a good cause namely Fishing and it is a bargin worth every cent

Mony spend on anything else is a complete ripp-off! and that includes food.

If your hobby doesn't cost you mony, you'r doing somthing's wrong !!

This is how my mind works like, get it !
    Last edited by Fisher; 07-08-08 at 05:31 PM.
    There is not a single bad person on earth, only persons that have been badly influenced.

If you would like to be better person, remove the things that have a negative influence on you TODAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I don't say you should spend as much as you can, it is point less to get into the tackle race and buy the most expensive equipment and you cannot afford to use it. But I think it depends a moer of a hou what your mindset is like, and that will determine what you are willing to trade for your pasion, ( directionaly proportional to what your passion is worth to you)

Mony spend on fishing, is for a good cause namely Fishing and it is a bargin worth every cent

Mony spend on anything else is a complete ripp-off! and that includes food.

If your hobby doesn't cost you mony, you'r doing somthing's wrong !!

This is how my mind works like, get it !
    You know what Fisher....I'm very glad I'm not living in your mind because I will go mad!

I'm seeing it this way.....there's a lot off newbs reeding these threads. The worst thing a newb can do is to take his R500 line and stuff it up on his first trip to the Vaal. Remeber, I'm talking about nymphing......because thats where most of us have started. IMHO......make them understand that your R500 line can get fecked up on your first trip.......therefor, think very carefull before spending an arm and a leg on a high end line.
    If you are comfortable with using a high end line on the Vaal......go for it!

It also depends how much time your floating line is going to spend in the water. If you are a traditional (for that is what's it become) CZNer or variants thereof, your fly line will spend little time in the water. It's when the line sizzles off the reel with a large fish hooked Muddie-sideways or in the mouth.

I often ask the question, when short-line CZNing or using similar close-range techniques, do I actually need a fly line at all or do I simply fill up my reel with mono or similar for the odd LM 100 metre dash?

Would it still make me a flyfisher if I was to abandon a flyline entirely?
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    It also depends how much time your floating line is going to spend in the water. If you are a traditional (for that is what's it become) CZNer or variants thereof, your fly line will spend little time in the water. It's when the line sizzles off the reel with a large fish hooked Muddie-sideways or in the mouth.

I often ask the question, when short-line CZNing or using similar close-range techniques, do I actually need a fly line at all or do I simply fill up my reel with mono or similar for the odd LM 100 metre dash?

NO!!That would make you a fisher.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    NO!!That would make you a fisher.
    Some b
    aitfishers that enters our realm believes as long as you have a fly at the end of your line you are flyfishing.............well shoot me first then, I'm not that cheep. But now I am the selfish d@@s because I don't want them to have fun, and what does it matter as long as we all enjoy it (they think). Rather go and ruk a riem, that's fun too, and it is way cheeper as it requires no special skill, but unfortuanatly, you cannot realy take pictures of it to impress your friends....
    There is not a single bad person on earth, only persons that have been badly influenced.

If you would like to be better person, remove the things that have a negative influence on you TODAY.

Some b
    aitfishers that enters our realm believes as long as you have a fly at the end of your line you are flyfishing.............well shoot me first then, I'm not that cheep. But now I am the selfish d@@s because I don't want them to have fun, and what does it matter as long as we all enjoy it (they think). Rather go and ruk a riem, that's fun too, and it is way cheeper as it requires no special skill, but unfortuanatly, you cannot realy take pictures of it to impress your friends....
    You need a fly to loosen if you want to ''RUK RIEM''.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

go and ruk a riem,that's fun too, and it is way cheeper as it requires no special skill,
    It does....u have to make sure not to leave the Hustler behind for the guests to find it.

If Czech nymphing isn't fly fishing Jiri Klima should be stripped of all his medals.

Now lets go and chuck a few.

G

Agreed!

All I know is as a kid being privileged to live around pure UK chalk stream surrounds, it was not an eyeblink on the one hand to fish in a military-controlled river with my compulsory tweed jacket, white shirt and tartan tie with a Houghton Ruby, or the next minute mix with my mates from the council houses downstream freelining with mincemeat/dough paste with my Walker Mark 4 Avon split-cane for chub. Latter very similar to CZNing by the way...
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

I saw that comeing, one or the other time

Ive been using Aquanova lines (+-R100) for the last three years.The great thing about these lines is that should your line become damaged beyond use(which a barbel did on one outing on the Orange River),you have an affordable replacement.Having owned an Airflo line,I will admit that Aquanova lines do not match Airflo lines performance wise.However the difference in performance(soft takes are bit more difficult to pick up) in my opinion is not that drastic,naturally the purists will disagree.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast