Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stacking vs Spinning

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    definately done with stacking I would say. A friend of mine has a book on tying with deer hair by "skip Morris" (i think) where he shows the technique. Think its called "tying bass bugs" or something.
    There are two good items on the subject:

DVD, Art of Tying the Bass fly - Skip Morris
    Price : R268.99 (incl.) per ea
    If you haven't watched a largemouth bass explode on a hair bug, a bluegill chase down a little sunken fly, or a smallmouth inspect and then scoop up an imitation of a crayfish from a sandstone riverbed, well,...why haven't you? Largemouth bass, smallmouth bass and crappies, bluegills, green sunfish and all the other pan fishes offer a wealth of unique rewards and challenges to the fly fisher.

And tying the fly patterns designed for these fishes offers all the fun and fascination any fly tier could desire.

In this one-hour-and-45-minute DVD, Skip Morris, author of ten books and literally hundreds of magazine articles on fly tying and fly fishing, will teach you how to tie and fish five excellent fly patterns for largemouth and smallmouth bass and pan fish: the Hair Bass Bug., Dave's Eelworm Streamer, Clouser Minnow, Skip's Dad, and the SMP.

A nearly two-hour-long tying lessons...and information on how to fish the patterns...with a great fly tier and tying instructor.

Deer-hair Fly-tying guidebook - Jack Pangburn
    Price : R149.00 (incl.) per ea
    Unique book has the look & feel of the streamside journal of a knowledgeable & very artistic fly-fisher. World-renowned fly-tier Pangburn shares 84 productive patterns & step-by-step techniques using natural deer hair, one of the most versatile fly-tying materials. Topics include: fly-tying materials, hooks, stacking, wrapping, dubbing, wings, flared bucktail, spinning, bundled bodies & more.
    With its many color illustrations, this unique book has the look and feel of the streamside journal of a knowledgeable and very artistic fly-fisher. World-renowned fly-tier Jack Pangburn shares many productive patterns and techniques using natural deer hair, one of the most versatile fly-tying materials.
    There are many ways to catch a fish, but catching one on a fly you've tied yourself is by far the most exciting and rewarding. Most food items trout feed on are of natural earth-tone colors, and there is no better way to imitate natrue that to use what nature has to offer. Derr hair is one of the most versatile and popular natural materials used in fly tying, and in this book Jak Pangburn shows you how to combing deer hair and other elements to create a finisher, fishable fly.
    Topics include: fly-tying materials, hooks, stacking, wrapping, dubbing, wings, flared bucktail, spinning, bundled bodies, 84 fly patterns, many with step-by-step instuctions, and much more. The beautiful, detailed illustrations give this book the feel of a personal streamside journal; add the crisp photography and informative text and this book gives you all the information you need to become a great tier of deer-hair flies.
    Regards
    Craig

Is the book any good.. Sent you a PM.
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Is the book any good.. Sent you a PM.
    Mmm, good is subjective.
    It will however give you what you want to achieve with it.
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    For those of you that love spinning or stacking Deer Hair for example,which is your favourate between the 2 and why?

What have you found to be the main difference in the end result other than the obvious difference between the 2 techniques if any?

I personally haven't found any to be honest,if u do both correctly and especially focus on compressing the hair tightly,the end result is pretty similar once your head is trimmed.

I'm talking about streamer heads spesifically.

Also,when commenting be sure to consider dumbell eyes where u can't exactly spin the hair over and between the eyes.

Thanks
    G
    Quote Originally Posted by FastAction View Post
    They are two different tecniques, in mounting deer hair onto the hook.

Stacking the deer hair (in a stacker, to align the tips), then tying it in is mainly for wings (i.e. elk hair caddis dry fly...no spinning of hair is involved to finish the fly off.)
    Spinning involves taking a bunch of deer hair, combing out the fibres, and then spinning it onto your hook shank. Then trimming it with a blade to shape.

So, I dont quite understand your question about preference for one...they are two different methods, to achieve very different results. There is of course a use for both, with different flies.
    Gerrit, with due respect. I cant see why one would fuse deerhair with bumbell eyes, thats dumb, like weighing down a balloon with lead. plenty of materials as you know would fuse better and still give the same effect.

Stacking of deerhair is only slightly different to spinning d/hair. Yes one can stack it above the hook, pinch and tie in as used on dries. Like the elk hair caddis. But this is really just tying in d/hair above the hook shank, not true stacking. (sorry FAST ACTION) Stacking deerhair still involves spinning, above or below the hook shank. One can stack d/hair above the shank and spin to give a halo effect, that is true stacking, what it was meant for.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Gerrit, with due respect. I cant see why one would fuse deerhair with bumbell eyes, thats dumb, like weighing down a balloon with lead. plenty of materials as you know would fuse better and still give the same effect.

Stacking of deerhair is only slightly different to spinning d/hair. Yes one can stack it above the hook, pinch and tie in as used on dries. Like the elk hair caddis. But this is really just tying in d/hair above the hook shank, not true stacking. (sorry FAST ACTION) Stacking deerhair still involves spinning, above or below the hook shank. One can stack d/hair above the shank and spin to give a halo effect, that is true stacking, what it was meant for.

Dave
    I don't agree Dave, but do agree with Gerrit. GoTo fly as an example; when Andrew [x-Laxtons] showed me how to use deer hair the main break-through was stacking DH more than spinning - by that I refer to the laying of DH on the shank and pulling straight down on it to get it to flare, but not spin.

Maybe it is a terminology issue again - but hopefully the GoTo fly explains what I think the original thread related to.

i generally stack deer hair on my flies that have dumbell eyes where you cant spin it.
    also, if there is some bulk i am trying to flare deer hair over, then i stack it as it doesnt spin around the shank.

cdc cant help us on big LM yellow patterns Andre haha

ryan, i have been using youtube for videos on fly tying. there are some good ones on there wrt your frog ambitions. look for the ones with the dahlberg divers. the tyers use the stacking technique to create circular dots and contrasts on them.

stacking is great for creating contrasts like dots.

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    cdc cant help us on big LM yellow patterns Andre haha

I have to agree with that one.........
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

[QUOTE=troutmaster;191909] - by that I refer to the laying of DH on the shank and pulling straight down on it to get it to flare, but not spin.

O.K.!! pulling down on it will spin it, tell the guys here(newbies) how to stop spinning but to flare, TOP OR BOTTOM OF HOOK SHANK.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2