Thread: Grunter charlie s.b.s.

Arrow Grunter charlie s.b.s.

Pattern by Doug SWANNEL.

Hook: no.2
    Thread: 6/0 chartreuse.
    Body: Begin by laying down a thread base. Wind copper flashabou or lurex over this, and then overwind with olive lace or V-rib.
    Wing: First a thin underwing of olive calftail, then a few strands of copper flashabou, and finely 4 olive dyed grizzly hackles.
    Eyes: Silver chain eyes or lead dumbell eyes for deeper water.
    Head: Clear varnish over the chartreuse tying thread.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

I like this pattern. One question, why not tie in all the materials in front of the eyes? (Between the eyes and the hook-eye)
    Could make for a more effective pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I like this pattern. One question, why not tie in all the materials in front of the eyes? (Between the eyes and the hook-eye)
    I agree, but tied this pattern as given. Sure to tie some between the eyes and the hook eye as I tie my clouser and deceiver flies.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    I agree, but tied this pattern as given. Sure to tie some between the eyes and the hook eye as I tie my clouser and deceiver flies.

Dave
    HI Mike,

Yes!! definitely is better tied above and between hook eye. Does more for the fly.

Dave

Seems the closer you tie them to the hook eye the more they act as a weed guard as it gets closer to the point of the hook which helps.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

The beauty of this fly is that one can really tie it in any dyed grizzly hackle, of choice, and still be a fish taker. Sparse here is the answer.

DAVE

Hi Dave
    what dye would you use to color you hackle feathers?
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Quote Originally Posted by briansflyfishing View Post
    Hi Dave
    what dye would you use to color you hackle feathers?
    I have a selection of already dyed capes, but a mate of mine here in P.E. is a fundy on dying feathers. Just have to go onto the search as we have covered this already. But P.M. me and lets see what colours you are looking at.

DAVE