Thread: Lourens River?? Any luck?

Default Lourens River?? Any luck?

Hi guys

Have any of you fished the lourens river??? have you had luck with trout??? where did you go and what flies??? when?

Any info is very welcome!
    Cheers
    Chris

Booger Rose Banned User

Hi Chris, if you can get a nice drift between the plastic bags there is chance of taking a troot or two. Water level still a bit high, but try it out. PM me if you want some more info.

Good morning

Like many other small streams in and around the Boland, anglers do not want to advertise it to the general public.

Bit of tuck of war. I would love to see more anglers fish these public waters, but on the other hand, do not want to fight for a spot on a Sunday morning. It is allready bad as it is with dogs taking your RAB and the old dry grandma of 20 complaining at you cause the dog is running like a fresh salmom up the river Moy. You on the other hand is trying to keep control of the situation, cause you never pre-pared yourself for the unthinkable, running into your backing on the Lourens Rivier. NEVER!!!

If you talk Lourens Rivier, are you asking about the section on the Lourensford Estate or the public water, Sports ground and further down as far as where the N2 cross the river?

Send me PM and maybe I can assist you.

Forgive me for sounding a bit damp, but I cannot understand why so many uninformed anglers don't just go and check out different streams themselves, and then keep it to themselves, instead of trying to glean every bit of info from guys that have fished these streams. So what if you have the odd blank? Frequent visits to different streams and different parts of those streams will eventually get you into the fish. Are you really going to want to share it with others when you do find it?
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 25-08-08 at 08:09 AM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Chris

I do agree, there is many of these streams available to the public, and we all have our secrets. Neither want to dish out the info. Imagine if Dean I. find out there is another little stream with trout in. It wont be to long before the safety of the trout is under threat. And not all angler have the same mentality as the die-hards.

For one, the other morning a youngster walk past my shop in S.Bosch with the rod in his flyrod in his hand on his way to Eerste. His friend had a spinning rod. We chat for a while and not knowing any better he admit killing trout and braaing it at the hostel.

On the other hand, I myself would like to fish more other streams to, but safety is a concern and with the help of a fishing friend I can protect myself and justify the petrol spend iff I catch a fish or 2.

Default Sorry, geez!

Guys! I didnt mean to arouse any anger. I have been down there 5 times now and havent got anything. I dont want to pry on your secrets! i know that I just have to keep trying, but i was just wondering if you guys have caught! I understand the whole secret thing! I have many of my own. just wondering if you guys could help.

bye

Quote Originally Posted by Woolybugger View Post
    Guys! I didnt mean to arouse any anger. I have been down there 5 times now and havent got anything. I dont want to pry on your secrets! i know that I just have to keep trying, but i was just wondering if you guys have caught! I understand the whole secret thing! I have many of my own. just wondering if you guys could help.

bye
    Has the season opened on the Lourens then? The rest of us have to wait until the first of Sept.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Has the season opened on the Lourens then? The rest of us have to wait until the first of Sept.
    yep!! ... Season CLOSES on the Lourens on 1 Sept!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

An old thread but I often wonder why these little gems of trout streams exist no more. I knew the Lourens River well in my youth. We used to fish it from the Old Bridge in Somerset West right down to the mouth...it was all public land. The stream above though was private (Lourendford Estate). In those days, if my memory is correct the estate belonged to the Gant's family ( the family company was Gants, famous for jams etc) whose factory was nearby. Today that section and up the Helderberg still remains private thank goodness and it is still a pristine little stream which yields pretty little rainbows up to 12 inches. It is only accessable to a few select fly fishers you keep it very private. The ones that fish it are types of great fishing ethics and all fish are returned with the utmost care. Such a delicate stream can only survive this way. It is a favourite of the dear doctor himself.
    Having said that in the old days we caught rainbows of up to 2lbs 100-200 yards from the entrance to the sea at the Strand. Some of them were silvery and no doubt searun.
    A big piece of municipal land (called the Vlaktes) which lay open was fishable, unfortunately even then was abused by thoughtless builders that dumped their rubble there. There too was the occasional bottle or tin but no plastic bags or containers in those days.
    What a shame, I still think of it, one of the tragedies of little streams. The Liesbeeck stream in Bishopscourt and Newlands another one.
    Here in KZN we fortunately have guys like Andrew Fowler (NFFC chairman) and his co-workers and members that have done sterling work on rivers...the upper Umgeni is returning to it's natural condition and the very precious Browns are doing well.
    However this had very little to do with pollution but more to do with invasive undesirable trees and vegetation. Natal has a big problem with wattle and pine, gum to a lesser extent...W Cape has invasive plant, Port Jackson, Wattle, Latana and many other invasive species. I have a theory that certain trees give out a tannin that is detrimental to water quality for fish, especially trout. Well that's off topic but is probably also applicable to deterioration to the Lourens below bridge. There also used to be a Pick'n Pay store below the Bridge that dumped garbage behind and down the banks of the river. This was disgusting and I don't know if it is still there today but I know Raymond Ackerman would have had a heart attack if he saw it. But that was long ago.
    Last edited by A River Runs Through It; 17-01-20 at 11:22 AM.