Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Cape Trout Syndicate - membership

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post

Chris, you are contradicting yourself here, and that might cause confusion, which is currently the case with me
    Good point Mario, thanks for pointing that out. What I am essentially saying is that these dams will only be open to syndicate members.....no outsiders, or paying day trippers allowed
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I suppose the naturally breeding trout in this stillwater with no inlet would need that yes

Chris, so WHY are you stocking????
    Depending on depth of these waters it may be required during hot summer months or when the level drops drastically.

Stocking trout to eat the carp fry.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    good job Chris!! .. my only reservation is the one about "NO WADING" .... what's the reasoning behind this?
    Spreading of undesirable weed growth!!! I would like to reserve the right to impose this rule as soon as I start to see a problem emerging. Obviously if weeds take over, despite no wading, then I will have no choice but to allow it again.

It is just one of those things that one has to keep an eye on as a fishery manager. All very well having one or two okes fishing a dam once a week, but every day, and lots of traffic....something will give
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Depending on depth of these waters it may be required during hot summer months or when the level drops drastically.

Stocking trout to eat the carp fry.
    Was actually being a little snotty regarding the Open/Closed Season question, the point being that there would not need to be a "closed" season for spawning, unless there is a natural and strong-flowing feeder stream with spawning gravel-beds for the stocked fish to swim up in and spawn/deposit eggs, and the eggs then having enough cold water running over the redd to ensure survival of the ova until correct time and temperature has been achieved to ensure hatching, enabling the hatched trout to "stock" the dam naturally, hence the question of the need to stock the dam ...
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Was actually being a little snotty regarding the Open/Closed Season question, the point being that there would not need to be a "closed" season for spawning, unless there is a natural and strong-flowing feeder stream with spawning gravel-beds for the stocked fish to swim up in and spawn/deposit eggs, and the eggs then having enough cold water running over the redd to ensure survival of the ova until correct time and temperature has been achieved to ensure hatching, enabling the hatched trout to "stock" the dam naturally, hence the question of the need to stock the dam ...
    There is a very small stream that flows throughout Winter into the dam. It may well be worth looking at somehow opening it up a bit with one or two wiers and incorporate some desirable gravel for the fish to spawn in. That would be 1st prize if we could get that right!

Default Logo idea?

Hi Chris,

I'm no graphics guru, but here's an idea I have for the logo. Excuse the mountian...not easy to draw in MS Paint
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

HI Mario,

Got your snotty spawning point, but I was just wondering how deep these waters are. Summer heat can cause hassles and could be a factor to close if need be. Chris seems to really want to succeed, so monitering on a permanent basis is what I have read and understood from his posts.

If at the right time of year when they are ready to spawn, and you have a steady flow of water over good gravel beds it is possible, for the guys sake I hope this is the case with this venue.

My reply regarding the trout to be stocked to eat the carp fry was also snotty. A dam we stocked was after some time stuffed up by carp, that is why I am concerned about stocking before eradicating the carp.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    Hi Chris,

I'm no graphics guru, but here's an idea I have for the logo. Excuse the mountian...not easy to draw in MS Paint
    I love the idea Rudolph! Maybe just need to work on the mountain a bit
    The trout is perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post

My reply regarding the trout to be stocked to eat the carp fry was also snotty. A dam we stocked was after some time stuffed up by carp, that is why I am concerned about stocking before eradicating the carp.

Dave
    Hi Dave. Did you stock with browns?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Hi Dave. Did you stock with browns?
    HI Chris,

No we only stocked rainbows this year again. Would like to only stock browns next year.

Dave

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast