Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on New Zealand

Default Advice on New Zealand

Hi Guys

Next year end of March I am going to Christchurch for a 3 day congress and afterwards I need to go and sample the renowned fly fishing of the South Island for a couple of days!

I need some advice please: Can I do a DIY trip? Renting a vehicle (4x4?), no pre-booking accommodation, etc. Weather end of March? Fishing conditions generally that time of the year? Would like to focus on rivers. Budget depending, maybe 7 days.

It would obviously be great to meet some of you guys down there and fish together if at all possible...

I read some articles in TCFF on the subject, but it never hurts to gain more info.

This is still early times, but any advice and input would be appreciated.

Hi
    I did a 8 day trip.
    I used a a guide for 1 day. The rest I did myself.
    There are 2 very good books about the rivers in SI.
    Very good directions etc about just about every river.
    How far to drive, where to stop etc etc.
    Buy those.
    You should be hitting some of the cicadas at that time.
    Lots of B&B for accomodation. Or you could do a camper. If you decide to stay in one spot. SOme very good bungalows to rent as well.
    A little Suzuki 4 x 4 should see you right to go every where. I managed with a small Toyota sedan for 95% of the time.
    If you need more advice PM me and we can chat.

Enjoy.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hi Dawie,

You certainly can do the South Island yourself. There is a lot of easily accessible water. By the end of your 7 days you should be getting the hang of things. The problem is that you'll waste a lot of time learning what to do. This is where a guide is handy to get you up to speed quickly. Even if just for one day as Korrie says. A guide will set you back $500 - $650 a day. If you do get a guide for your first day ask him to have a few casts to show you what to do. They don't usually fish themselves but you can learn a lot from watching them.The guidebooks are very good so definitely get one or two before you come over.

You can hire 4WD vehicles in Christchurch from www.overland.co.nz. Not essential to have 4WD but could come in handy. Accommodation is plentiful at that time of year so not necessary to book.

End of March is a good time to fish. The weather is usually still quite settled. Rivers lowish and spotting still easy around the middle of the day. Getting towards the end of the cicada season but there should still be some around.

I don't fish the South Island much so can't give you too much specific advice. But I can recommend some guides if you are interested.

Cheers
    Kevin
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys!

Korrie, what's the names of the books that you are referring to?

I will follow your advice and book a guide for the first day. Kevin, please recommend some. You can PM me.

I will ask more later on.

I will check the names of the books tonight.
    There are 2 good fly shops in Christchurch, When you land, swing by. Lots of info and what flies.
    They will sort out your licence etc. They should also stock the books.
    Depending on where you going to fish, that is where you should get a guide. They are fairly localised. So before you book, decide which area you want to fish. Then get the guide.

The problem is that there is almost too much info about NZ. You can get confused on where, what, how etc.
    Another small bit of info, if you do get rain, and the river is dirty. The next river might be clean. It helped me when I was there.
    If you want to chat PM me your tel nr.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Thanks, Korrie! I am currently running around like a "afkop hoenner" at work, when things slow down, I will give you a call. Please PM me your phone no.
    Cheers,
    Dawie

Quote Originally Posted by Gele View Post
    Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys!

Korrie, what's the names of the books that you are referring to?

I will follow your advice and book a guide for the first day. Kevin, please recommend some. You can PM me.

I will ask more later on.
    The books are

Trout Fishing, A guide to the South Island

South Island, A trout fishing guide.

Good read, good directions, valuable info. Nice memories to have when you return.
    Korrie Broos

Default NZ

Gele, if you have any location, technique or guide specific questions let me know. One bit of advice for March is to not overlook stillwater options. I don't know if you'll have the time to head down south (southern half of Sth Island), but there is some fantastic stillwater fishing to be had if rivers aren't producing the goods. (See the August issue of TCFF: 'Stunning Southern Stillwaters')

Regards

Marcus Janssen

Thanks, Marcus.
    I will contact you later on.
    Cheers
    Dawie

hmmm. Did a diy month on SI a few years back. Get aguide if you have limited time. Even if it is just for a day. There is some seriously good water not too far from Christchurch. Travel is slow. Accomodation is cheap - most camp grounds have small huts you can rent. Take the best bug spray money can buy.
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast