Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Vaal report: Brutus lives!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Scythe and Byron suggested to use thicker tippet next time.
    I don't want to get into a tiff about fishing the right kind of equipment, my sentiments in that regard are very well known. In my opinion a 20 minute fight on ANY SmallMouth is unreasonable towards the fish ... that in itself is a good enough reason to beef up the tippet.

Gerrit, you like asking loaded questions, you know very well that should one be fishing dries one would also more likely than not be fishing areas of deeper flow where

1) Having a fish drill itself into the rock snot wouldn't really be a consideration.
    2) the water would mostly be open, such as in a pool.

I don't change my tippet diameter to anything less than a good quality 3X even when fishing emergers and smaller flies, it's simply not needed on the Vaal.
    Last edited by Scythe; 08-09-08 at 03:26 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I don't want to get into a tiff about fishing the right kind of equipment, my sentiments in that regard are very well known. In my opinion a 20 minute fight on ANY SmallMouth is unreasonable towards the fish ... that in itself is a good enough reason to beef up the tippet.

Gerrit's, you like asking loaded questions, you know very well that should one be fishing dries one would also more likely than not be fishing areas of deeper flow where

1) Having a fish drill itself into the rock snot wouldn't really be a consideration.
    2) the water would mostly be open, such as in a pool.

I don't change my tippet diameter to anything less than a good quality 3X even when fishing emergers and smaller flies, it's simply not needed on the Vaal.

.... what he said

and I'm not a fan of letting fish swim off with a fly or two hanging from their top lip - I feel really *** when I snap off.

If I'm fishing in a tight spot (lots of trees and snot and other cr@p in the water) I want to be able to stop the fish. I've been taken on blistering runs in the last two outings by some big yellows and I've made sure that the fallen trees and snot don't end up costing me my fish.

I don't have any tippet lighter than 3x in my vaal pack, there is no need. Small flies can still be tied on 3x - not that I'v gone smaller than size 18 on the vaal.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

And another thing ... it's a well known fact that the SmallMouth put on condition in winter pre the spring spawn. Usually the fish are fatter, better fed and more agressive than they are later in the season and they have PLENTY of energy reserves to back it all up with.

Another good reason to use heavier tippets in the beginning of the season.

Play nicely, fight the fish hard and release it quickly.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

on that note - all the fish I have been catching have been in excellent shape, fat healthy, not too many parasites, they haven't got their full colour yet but they look good... however I have caught two that have been blind in one eye. It looks like the eyes have turned down and towards the skull with some parasites or growths on their eyes - I haven't seen this before. I'll see if I have a pic.

Horatio

Maybe it is just an old battle scar.

Agreed. And your points on early season fish are valid and taken. But like I mentioned, and is shown in the pic, I didn't exactly tip-toe around during the fight. On a few occasions I literally locked the drag and pulled my @ss off to try and turn the thing, but to no avail. And my rod has plenty of back bone to turn big fish! In fact, the hook was properly bent at the end of it all... I really don't like playing fish for such long periods - it's not fair to them. So I really doubt a 3X tippet would have made a difference. When this chappie decided to head for the riffles, all i could do was follow.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Congrats on a great fish Graham!
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    on that note - all the fish I have been catching have been in excellent shape, fat healthy, not too many parasites, they haven't got their full colour yet but they look good... however I have caught two that have been blind in one eye. It looks like the eyes have turned down and towards the skull with some parasites or growths on their eyes - I haven't seen this before. I'll see if I have a pic.
    Hey Byron
    Of course the eyes are going to be turned down and towards the skull after being yanked across the river by your lips. Sorry boet, I was just having a quiet giggle here.....no offence
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

And another thing ... it's a well known fact that the SmallMouth put on condition in winter pre the spring spawn. Usually the fish are fatter, better fed and more agressive than they are later in the season and they have PLENTY of energy reserves to back it all up with.

Another good reason to use heavier tippets in the beginning of the season.

Play nicely, fight the fish hard and release it quickly.
    Bertu,
    You know I share your views, hence me using 5.5kg maxima as leader and tippet in summer/spring and 3x for dries in winter/spring.

I actually watched the battle, hence the pics and I doubt very much if even 8kg maxima would have made any difference.
    Once she got into the faster rapids downstream Graham had no option but to walk after her, a distance of 50 or so metres. Not that easy with all the snot on the rocks. She also wrapped his fly line twice and sat .
    Rory had to net her because Graham could not get her close enough to do the honour himself.
    A beutifull fish which my pics do not do justice to.
    Oh ja, after the pics there was little reviving needed, one swish in the stiller water and she literally flipped away.
    She is going to pass on her gene's in the first spawn, watch out for her babes in 4 years or so.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

What a beast!!! Nice one Graham!!!! I can only dream of such a fish!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast