Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coincidence or Trend ?

Question Coincidence or Trend ?

Following on from another thread, I got thinking. ( Dangerous for me I know)
    My 4 biggest SM have all been caught on #16 or smaller flies. Be they either wet or dry flies.

Is it a trend that the bigger fish take smaller flies, or is it just a coincindence

Your input would be appreciated.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Different views on the way....

My 5 biggest sm were all caught on senior tipe flies.Right time right place they take anything.

G

Coincidence ... if you're fishing water you don't know beyond a reasonable doubt holds truly large fish it's just pot luck on which fly they end up eating.

There is another view on that which relates to specifically LargeMouth where only a truly big fish will eat a truly big fly so by that inferrence if you're casting a big fly you're limiting yourself to only the bigger fish. Those are long and lonely days of maybe one knock a day.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Coincidence ... if you're fishing water you don't know beyond a reasonable doubt holds truly large fish it's just pot luck on which fly they end up eating.

There is another view on that which relates to specifically LargeMouth where only a truly big fish will eat a truly big fly so by that inferrence if you're casting a big fly you're limiting yourself to only the bigger fish. Those are long and lonely days of maybe one knock a day.
    Bertu, I was specifically referring to SM's.

As a matter of interest, when we last fished you had nothing bigger than a #16 in your dry box, and frowned on my #14 EHK.
    BTW my second PB, a 4kg SM was taken on a #18 Klinkie, tied in the manner that you showed me on the day I got my first yellow on dry.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    As a matter of interest, when we last fished you had nothing bigger than a #16 in your dry box, and frowned on my #14 EHK.
    I never frown, I was just suggesting that an EHC wouldn't be my first choice at that time of year, you proved me well wrong by taking two fish on it You also have to remember that I like to fish immitatively, it's just who I am. So if a hatch of #20's are coming off, I would rate my odds better when chucking a #20 or #18 of same or similar look than when chucking a #14 which doesn't closely resemble the natural. (that's one thing Herman Botes and I might have in common )

You havn't seen my bugger box though have you ? Nothing smaller than a #12 2XL to be found

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    BTW my second PB, a 4kg SM was taken on a #18 Klinkie, tied in the manner that you showed me on the day I got my first yellow on dry.
    Lekker You can't beat the right fly in the right size at the right time.

I've spent a lot of time hunting the bigger fish in the last season or two, I personally believe that the luck rule still applies, you might end up getting a +5KG SmallMouth in the rapids on a Nymph/Caddis much like you often get Largies over 4Kg in the rapids hunting the baitfish, however ... to consitently catch truly large SM over 5KGs you will have to go find them where they are. They're hanging out with the LM and they also eat the same stuff: fish, crabs, lizards, baby birds, baby barbel, etc.

I might be wrong, this is just what I've been lead to believe from recent experiences.
    Last edited by Scythe; 09-09-08 at 10:52 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

If we're talking SM's and other non-LM yellows, personally I reckon I've got more on 'smaller' flies imitating the size of what the fish may be on to at the time. Imitations I reckon are generally tied too big. Of course at times as the guys have said it doesn't matter too much, but when the fish are feeding selectively, if they are big-wise old dudes or if there's lots of fishing pressure I'd go for smaller flies any time. I often check the size of my artificials against the mayfly/caddis or whatever in the water, I amaze myself how often my artificial is way too big
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

This is a good thread, why didn't I think of this.....?

here is my take on the matter... I still believe that when the yellowfish, particularly smallmouth are running through the rapids in shoals, they will eat anything. The main trick is to get the fly into the correct zone, anyfly will do within reason.
    I have tested this theory by hooking a piece of stick onto a hook, and fishing normally, guess what? a fish ate it. I have also caught a yellowfish on a "fly" that has nothing on the hook, except a brass bead.
    With a 3 fly CZN rig, I also think that the control fly may act as an attractor for the other flies.
    I think that with the competition for food that shoaling fish have, they have no time to analyze if it is food or not. They see something, eat it, ask questions later......
    I saw Ian catch a 10 or 12 pound largie ona size 16 mayfly nymph , in shallow water....

Since I've recently had major success on micro patterns, I thought I'd bring back this thread.

It has been speculated that the health of the Vaal have improved and with it brought some new species of bugs to boot. With new life a lot more small nymphs come into play although this is just an opinion.

Who else have had success with micro patterns recently? Second questions, who have actually tried micro patterns recently?
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

The more you fish the luckier you get! Location, location, location! My ten cents

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    Since I've recently had major success on micro patterns, I thought I'd bring back this thread.

It has been speculated that the health of the Vaal have improved and with it brought some new species of bugs to boot. With new life a lot more small nymphs come into play although this is just an opinion.

Who else have had success with micro patterns recently? Second questions, who have actually tried micro patterns recently?
    I must say small black mayfly are very prolific recently, small PTN's and Black Flashbacks work well!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast