Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Flies for Largies

Quote Originally Posted by flybum View Post
    BERTU, have you checked out the humungus - this bugger HAMER trout in the english reseviors when they turn onto the huge baitfish shoals in winter. the simmilarity between your GOTO and the HUMUNGUS is very interesting.
    Hey Herman The Toothpick Wielder

I will definately go and search for it.

there's also chubby head barbs - the males also turn golden/olive in summer for spawning PLUS they got this dark band on their lateral line that is defenitely worth immitating (givin the success this pattern feature has on KZN trout)
    I'm actually endeavouring to trap some of them this coming weekend. Have a nice tank for them back home and having a live example or 50 will always help with tying a realistic imitation

In the NC we've picked up on a lot of small, predominantly black fish, not baby barbel. We've also found HUGE Mouthbrooders and Vleikurper in the rapids up to 20cm. From there my preference to chuck a black bugger in that area as a first step search pattern. Ofcourse it also helps if you have confidence in the fly.

there' s also zillions of mosquito fish in the vaal - but givin their size , they're probably to small for largies?
    I have caught LM and big SM on extremely large Copper Johns with very little weight fished like a streamer. Especially up here in the middel Vaal I think the LM and the SM definately eat the mossquito fish. The females grow to about 8cm and the males are smaller at about 5cm and if you take into account where they hang out in conjunction with their sheer numbers, I think they make great Largie fodder.

I've on several occasions seen Largies patrolling around the shallow rocks and hiacynth where the mosquito fish hang out, they just wait for one dumb one to stray too far.

SLURP! BURP! ZWEEEEEEE!

Also heard about your whopper of a day last week, sounds like you had fun
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Sweet- thought Id tie a couple of them up.

Brings me to my next question as well- how important do you guys rate the colour of your flies? I was thinking of tying up some flies in peach/ gold/ silver colours with some flash (and chartreuse of course)- try and get a general small smallmouth coloration theme going...
    Kevin

As I mentioned, stick to dark colours for dirty water, and light colours for clear water. The trick is to not have a box filled with 1000's of patterns to imitate each little barb, mini-yellow, mini-muddy, mini-moggel, etc etc.
    As I said, most barbs found in the Vaal/Orange system are silvery or grey in colour. Also, the juvenile smallmouth, mudfish and moggel all are the same silvery/grey colours when very small (5cm -10cm). So if you can get a pattern that succesfully imitates a range of baitfish such as the ones mentioned, you are well away. Something like the Enrico Purglisi range of flies are brilliant, if you just vary the colour combo's slightly.
    See below: (His Finger Mullet is a fantastic imitation of "mini-yellows" and the various barb species found on the Vaal, especialy the Trimaculatus.)

Enrico Purglisi Finger Mullet fly: (bottom one's colours are perfect. In clear water this fly will be like candy to a baby to the largies)

Then some other good ones from the EP stable as well:

Use dumbell eyes, instead of stick-on eyes...that is sufficient weight as well.

regards
    Mike

[

there' s also zillions of mosquito fish in the vaal - but givin their size , they're probably to small for largies?[/QUOTE]

If whales and whale sharks can chomp krill, why can't the largie eat mosquitos?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Howzit Herman

Wie bind Maandag? Vlieg?

Groete
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Howzit Herman

Wie bind Maandag? Vlieg?

Groete
    Mike

Martino...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Ja shot Michael

Those finger mullet are so awesome- the profile is what sets them apart. Will be interesting to see how they come out with the dumbell eyes instead of the normal stick ons.
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Ja shot Michael

Those finger mullet are so awesome- the profile is what sets them apart. Will be interesting to see how they come out with the dumbell eyes instead of the normal stick ons.
    It's also the fibres he uses...those EP Fibres are awesome in the water, and keep their profile. I think those flies run about US$ 8.00 a pop or something.

SF fibre is also good

G

I find it strange that no one here mentioned anything about Zonker Minnows.

Don't u like it or what?

G

Intermediate I've never had to go that deep. In fact I don't own a sinker maybe they work maybe they stink.

There is obviously the satisfaction of running something close to the surface and then experience the massive explosion of water!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast