Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trek and gill nets being used at Zandvlei

Nice, thanks for the report. So there we have it. The leeries followed the adult mulets out to sea...

Default Fishy Business on the vlei.

On a more serious note. To ensure the future of fishing at Zandvlei, more people have to get involved with management descisions that concern fisherfolk. There are some sinister developments behind the scenes such as legalizing the use of cast nets for bait fish. Guys who fish with live bait for Leeries are obviously behind this. Next thing you know, prawn and worm pumping will follow. The canals at Marina Da Gama are now open to RESIDENTS from an hour before sunrise to an hour after sunset. Normal open time to the public is sunrise to sunset. I must remind everyone that Zandvlei including the canals are PUBLIC waters.

PS!!Can you say "The DUCK LADY from Sonstraal has moved to Marina Da Gama" ?
    PPS!! These are not unsubstantiated claims but are a matter of public record. Info was taken from a report on a meeting convened by Ward 64 city councillor Demetri Qually and attended by representatives of various groups, such as canoeists, yachtsmen, anglers, recreational water users and municipal officials.
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 18-09-08 at 10:49 PM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Dave, go read the thread again slowly.

Nobody is saying the netting is due to the forum. That was a response to a question on poor results this season - and may well have to do with exposure of the venue on the forum (i.e. overfishing by the lurkers) last year.

As far as the gill nets are concerned, let's just all keep our panties on for the moment . All we have is an unsubstantiated claim by a forum member. Until there is solid info and proof to back it up, means didly...
    I personally don't believe the bad fishing of late is due to anything that was posted on Flytalk, that is just crazy. Do you really really believe that? If you believe that, you'll probably believe anything.

Reason I say this is because all the guys that I know who fished the venue all released their fish, and we were there every weekend and many mornings in the week aswell for months on end. Not once did I see or hear of anyone taking fish out. We also never saw the R&S guys ever invading the place. The few of you who never caught anything didnt try hard enough, simple as that! The fishing never was easy, even when it was at it's best.

Now who would like to argue this point? Were you there?
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 18-09-08 at 08:50 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I personally don't believe the bad fishing of late is due to anything that was posted on Flytalk, that is just crazy. Do you really really believe that? If you believe that, you'll probably believe anything.

Reason I say this is because all the guys that I know who fished the venue all released their fish, and we were there every weekend and many mornings in the week aswell for months on end. Not once did I see or hear of anyone taking fish out. We also never saw the R&S guys ever invading the place. The few of you who never caught anything didnt try hard enough, simple as that! The fishing never was easy, even when it was at it's best.

Now who would like to argue this point? Were you there?
    Seems like no-one is up to it Chris.
    Damn I had bothe the popcorn and the beer ready
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

smithers, more likely pressure due to a certain losbek forum...
    Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Maybe this is the reason for the poor last season.....sounds like another botriver scenario...
    Dave, go read the thread again slowly.

Nobody is saying the netting is due to the forum. That was a response to a question on poor results this season - and may well have to do with exposure of the venue on the forum (i.e. overfishing by the lurkers) last year.

As far as the gill nets are concerned, let's just all keep our panties on for the moment . All we have is an unsubstantiated claim by a forum member. Until there is solid info and proof to back it up, means didly...
    No need to read it again. Netting would be the cause for dwindling fish stocks, not over fishing the previous season. Any water overfished by recreational fishers will take years, not so if gill or trek netting is done. As per your posts, you seem to have lost your panties.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    As per your posts, you seem to have lost your panties.
    Dave, boet, the mountain cabbage must be particularly potent in your neck of the woods ! How your deductive reasoning managed to come up with that response just plain scares me

P.S. I like the frilly pink g-string variety. I'll mail you a pair.
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

I had an idea that this is where Garnet was heading...ive heard about them netting for scientific purposes before.I just cant see how they wont damage the fish??? I agree that its good to find out whats going on in the system but those nets must injure the fish....

Chris as for the forum situation...my take is that it has a snowball effect.....ill explain.I dont think the problem arrises from flytalk flyfisherman or any flyfisherman in that case cos i like to think we ALL release our fish...the problem however is that when joe soap walks passed and he see's a mass of anglers fishings...hes like whats going on here?mmmmm....ill come throw here must be fish in here....which leads to guys fishing with live bait and sardines and catching fish........and a % of these guys take the fish out for the pot.

So i reckon this is the negative spin off this had.I may be wrong here guys...please correct me if i am wrong.Bottom line is not many people knew of its potential and becos of the amount of activity happening there it became VISIBLE to just about anybody.....

my 0.00000000002 cents ...... 00-smith out
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    I had an idea that this is where Garnet was heading...ive heard about them netting for scientific purposes before.I just cant see how they wont damage the fish??? I agree that its good to find out whats going on in the system but those nets must injure the fish....

Chris as for the forum situation...my take is that it has a snowball effect.....ill explain.I dont think the problem arrises from flytalk flyfisherman or any flyfisherman in that case cos i like to think we ALL release our fish...the problem however is that when joe soap walks passed and he see's a mass of anglers fishings...hes like whats going on here?mmmmm....ill come throw here must be fish in here....which leads to guys fishing with live bait and sardines and catching fish........and a % of these guys take the fish out for the pot.

So i reckon this is the negative spin off this had.I may be wrong here guys...please correct me if i am wrong.Bottom line is not many people knew of its potential and becos of the amount of activity happening there it became VISIBLE to just about anybody.....

my 0.00000000002 cents ...... 00-smith out
    I hear you Stephen, but did that ever happen? We were there often enough to keep tabs on things. Not once did I arrive to find guys bait fishing, let alone taking fish out!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I personally believe that the fish are still there, just not in the places where we originally found them. A leerie is also an intelligent fish, and I think they became wary of our offerings. Remember when the refusals started? I had enough of those, fish turning short of the fly. There are only so many of those fish patrolling the bank, and the kind of pressure the handful of us were exerting had to eventually take it's toll. I believe that the fish wisened up. Having said this, I also don't think that leeries have fantastically long memories, they will always return to known haunts and those who continue to put in the effort will be rewarded. It takes a hell lot of hard work and perseverance though. Good fishing always has a window, and progressively will become more and more difficult as the fish become wise to our moves.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 19-09-08 at 09:00 AM.

One day when I was fishing the vlei a guy came past and asked what I was targeting, when I said leeries he said he saw a guy the other day catching a very big one, and that the guy returned the fish. Then he said: If I had to catch that fish I would certainly kill it! I wanted to put my fist through his face right there! It's not so much the fisherman that we should be worried about, it's the people that stay next to the vlei that's killing the fish... they don't know any better, he still went on saying that he can't believe that people would return any fish, he sure would not. Damn, I should have taken him out that day come to think of it now, @ssholes like that don't deserve to live, and they don't want to be educated either

forgot to mention that the small ones he always caught ends up on the bank, he still said that he would not eat it, but he still kills them anyway, unbelievable...
    Last edited by srt007; 19-09-08 at 09:07 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast