Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: Artificial Fibre Bass Bug

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    HI KORRIE,

    Thanks for those, they look great. Will see what I can come up with now.

    Dave
    My first all synthetic fly (bass) Enjoyed just doing it. Still not getting that rope type spinning done. Calling Korrie.

    Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    My first all synthetic fly (bass) Enjoyed just doing it. Still not getting that rope type spinning done. Calling Korrie.

    Dave
    Did not give pic.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,050

    Default

    Well done, looks very good.

    What material are you using for the spinning?

    The firmer the material the more difficult it is to get a nice "spin". The softer the material the easier.

    The longer the cut pieces the more difficult as well. As they tend to wind onto the thread and not spin.

    I let the bobbing hang and then let it spin.
    Sometimes it helps to give a gentle pull on the thread the help the twisting.

    If the material in the split thread is too close to each other, it will not spin properly.

    Maybe to start, insert less pieces into the thread and start spinning. Eventually you will find the right amount of material to insert for each type of artificial fibre.

    Let me know how you are progressing.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Korrie,

    What type/size thread are you using?
    I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Parys, Free State
    Posts
    9,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Well done, looks very good.

    What material are you using for the spinning?

    The firmer the material the more difficult it is to get a nice "spin". The softer the material the easier.

    The longer the cut pieces the more difficult as well. As they tend to wind onto the thread and not spin.

    I let the bobbing hang and then let it spin.
    Sometimes it helps to give a gentle pull on the thread the help the twisting.

    If the material in the split thread is too close to each other, it will not spin properly.

    Maybe to start, insert less pieces into the thread and start spinning. Eventually you will find the right amount of material to insert for each type of artificial fibre.

    Let me know how you are progressing.
    Which way do u spin?Anti or clockwise?

    G

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Well done, looks very good.

    What material are you using for the spinning?

    The firmer the material the more difficult it is to get a nice "spin". The softer the material the easier.

    The longer the cut pieces the more difficult as well. As they tend to wind onto the thread and not spin.

    I let the bobbing hang and then let it spin.
    Sometimes it helps to give a gentle pull on the thread the help the twisting.

    If the material in the split thread is too close to each other, it will not spin properly.

    Maybe to start, insert less pieces into the thread and start spinning. Eventually you will find the right amount of material to insert for each type of artificial fibre.

    Let me know how you are progressing.
    Thanks for that, was doing most wrong, to big, to close and was using synthetic b/tail, which if cut shorter and spaced properly, should not be a problem. Will retry, dit is lekker.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Which way do u spin?Anti or clockwise?

    G
    Clockwise, is this right? or must I spin anti-clockwise if I'm winding clockwise onto the shank.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,050

    Default

    The thread I use, is imported from the Czech Republic. It is a multi strand thread. Super stuff. It is about R250 a bobbin, but there is a huge amount of thread on the bobbin. If you had to buy the normal threads (quantity wise ) from a local fly shop you would end up paying about R500. It is super strong.
    If any one is intersted in a roll I will order some.
    There are also lovely dry fly and nymph threads from the same company.
    The dry fly spools have about 2000m (two thousand meters) on a bobbin.

    I spin the thread/bobbin anti clockwise.

    The only problem when you spin the thread, is the section of the thread, from the tip of the bobbin to the spool, is always wound up. You have to wrap that section onto the hook to get a new piece of thread to insert the new cut off pieces.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    The thread I use, is imported from the Czech Republic. It is a multi strand thread. Super stuff. It is about R250 a bobbin, but there is a huge amount of thread on the bobbin. If you had to buy the normal threads (quantity wise ) from a local fly shop you would end up paying about R500. It is super strong.
    If any one is intersted in a roll I will order some.
    There are also lovely dry fly and nymph threads from the same company.
    The dry fly spools have about 2000m (two thousand meters) on a bobbin.
    Please post me a link so that I can have a look..

    Thanks
    I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,248

    Default

    Korrie,

    Cant one instead of splitting the thread, do a loop thread and wind anti clockwise?

    Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •