Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Streamers for Smallstream Yellows

Ive tried damsel from size 14 and bigger and thats the only fly they totally ignored not even a nearby swim or anything.

I really dont know whats wrong with them this year.

They like anything black from my experience and thats what ive caught the 3 with this year. The fact is after using the same fly for one or two fish they get used to seeing the same thing and after a while the fly scares them because they know their maatjies have taken them.

It sound stupid but thats what its like - i can guarantee that you wont catch a second fish from the same school with the same fly...

Gerrit the ant you have tied for the flyswap didnt mean anything to them just like the damsels. Them I tried other ants and the same thing happened.

They dont like terrestrials.

They only take streamers on a slow retrieve about 20cm away.

Check out the pics.

Let me know if you have any experience in these conditions with success.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Klink my jy's in 'n k@k bui vandag........!?
    Spaar my jou agressie metalhead, ek terg Gerrit altyd, hy weet dit. Ek reken ek maak k@k lelike buggers, dis hoekom ek GBe vang, hulle val my bugger aan voor my bugger hulle aanval.
    Last edited by Scythe; 08-10-08 at 11:43 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Troep View Post
    They like anything black from my experience and thats what ive caught the 3 with this year. The fact is after using the same fly for one or two fish they get used to seeing the same thing and after a while the fly scares them because they know their maatjies have taken them.
    No difference in behaviour from other species, The only reason SmallMouth on the Vaal are such easy targets in the rapids in summer is the low viz and pace of water movement.

Mostly they aren't aware of you, they have to react quickly to get a passing meal AND there are hordes of them, that's why SmallMouth on the Vaal in summer is easy peasy fishing at it's best, but find Troot/Grayling/Other schooling forage feeders in similar conditions and they behave very similarly.

Take the same fish on the same stretch of river and now just increase the viz to 2M and put them in the slower flowing deeper pools. I have seen schools of SmallMouth 300 members strong ignore every fly that came their way or you get possibly one or two hits before you spook the pod, have to work a different section and then return to the same pod once they have calmed down a bit.

It's that specific attribute which makes small stream fishing for Troot and Yellows such great fun, the challenge of evolving your tactics as the day moves along.

Troep, I find it very interresting that they go for streamers and not the terrestrials. Have you netted the streams and riffels to see what kind of smaller baitfish/nymps are around ?
    Last edited by Scythe; 08-10-08 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Troep View Post
    Ive tried damsel from size 14 and bigger and thats the only fly they totally ignored not even a nearby swim or anything.

I really dont know whats wrong with them this year.

It sound stupid but thats what its like - i can guarantee that you wont catch a second fish from the same school with the same fly...

Gerrit the ant you have tied for the flyswap didnt mean anything to them just like the damsels. Them I tried other ants and the same thing happened.

They dont like terrestrials.

They only take streamers on a slow retrieve about 20cm away.

Check out the pics.

Let me know if you have any experience in these conditions with success.
    Looks like quite a large stream from the pics
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Looks like quite a large stream from the pics
    Technically that specific piece of water is referred to as a spruit, funnily enough, I would always have assumed a spruit should be even smaller than a stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Technically that specific piece of water is referred to as a spruit, funnily enough, I would always have assumed a spruit should be even smaller than a stream.
    Smaller than a stream whould be a ''spuit''.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Guys

Its the Kommandospruit and luckily all mine. "You find streams in upmarket gardens" this is a Spruit!

I havnt netted the place, but what I can tell you is that you can find basically everything in this strech of water except trout and largies. On the other sideof town there is largies in small spruite/streams whatever you want to call it.

Im telling you guys - the eastern part of the eastern free state, meaning Kommandospruit, Klipriver, Spruitsonderdrif and another 2 or 3 I dont know the name of have large numbers of yellows.

CJ I totally agree with you... I was thinking of building a hide!!!

If catch one the whole pod is gone, but while you fight the fish sometimes three or four other swim with the hooked one, and some of those looks as if they were on a proteien diet - MONSTERS!!! And its those monsters with memory - if they have seen your fly before they flee - and then the rest follow!!!

These fish are amazing - I think Ill try to figure them out for the rest of my life - never ever a dull moment.

Cheers manne

Spaar my jou agressie metalhead, ek terg Gerrit altyd, hy weet dit. Ek reken ek maak k@k lelike buggers, dis hoekom ek GBe vang, hulle val my bugger aan voor my bugger hulle aanval.
    Ja passop....slipnot het my gister ge-tune ek moet jou met 'n katana uitsort!!!

Nee meneer....veralgemeen maar net. Mens kan partykeer in 'n ou se woorde aflei dat hy bietjie min kry.......soos ek!

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Mens kan partykeer in 'n ou se woorde aflei dat hy bietjie min kry.......soos ek!
    Dan moet Gerrit seker die moerigste van ons almal wees ? Ten minste het ek nie 'n babanostertjie soos jy nie, so jy kry geen slaap en geen speeltyd ! Ek simpatiseer met jou, well nie eintlik nie ... my oupa het altyd gereken ... "Hou jou ding uit gate dan bly jou gat uit dinge"

Ja ek wou jou tune, moet nou nie dat jy Slipknot se gedagtes kry nie

EK het jou geluk gewens met jou nuweling al weke terug btw.

Dan moet Gerrit seker die moerigste van ons almal wees ? Ten minste het ek nie 'n babanostertjie soos jy nie, so jy kry geen slaap en geen speeltyd ! Ek simpatiseer met jou, well nie eintlik nie ... my oupa het altyd gereken ... "Hou jou ding uit gate dan bly jou gat uit dinge"

Ja ek wou jou tune, moet nou nie dat jy Slipknot se gedagtes kry nie

EK het jou geluk gewens met jou nuweling al weke terug btw.
    Plak 'n palm.... groet my,I have 5 helpers thank u very muts

G

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast