Thread: Another Fizzer Caddis

FlyFanatic Banned User

Default Another Fizzer Caddis

After reading the post made by Micheal on his fizzer Caddis, which is an absolute brilliant idea!, I made my own variation of a caddis using the fizzer as shellback, and a caddis fly that a fellow angler gave me, dont know who invented this one, but its an exellent pattern!!
    (P.S. This is my first fly that im posting, so bear with my mistakes and poor photos..)

HOOK: #10 Scud Hook, debarbed
    THREAD: Light Brown
    WEIGHT: Light lead wire, few turns around shank
    BEADHEAD: 2mm gold bead
    SHELLBACK: Cream soda fizzer wrapping
    RIBBING: Tippet material
    ABDOMEN: Yellow anthron dubbing
    THORAX: Brown wool and jackal tail dubbing to form legs

Step 1 :

Cover the hook shank with tight touching turns of thread, all the way down to the bend. Tie in the fizzer shellback and tippet material for the ribbing.

Step 2 :

Add a few turns of lead wire and tie the wire securely to the hook so it wont rotate. Build up the backside of the lead wire wrapping so it changes size evenly.

Step 3 :

Take your thread all the way back to the bend of the hook, and add the yellow dubbing to a well waxed thread. Dub all the way back to the eye of the hook, leaving enough space to tie in thorax and tie fly off.
    Last edited by FlyFanatic; 08-10-08 at 12:34 AM.

FlyFanatic Banned User

Step 4 :

Pull shell back over the body and tie down securely behind eye of the hook, cut off excess. Now wrap the tippet material forward to segment the body, increasing the size of the segments as you go forward. Tie down securely behind eye of hook and snip off excess.
    Last edited by FlyFanatic; 08-10-08 at 12:36 AM.

FlyFanatic Banned User

Step 5 :

Add the brown wool dubbing to your thread followed by the jackal hair. Dub the thorax until all the wool is on the fly. Now dub the jackal hair over the wool.

Step 6 :

Finish off with a whip finish and give a spot of varnish on the tread to stop it from coming loose.

And thats the finished fly!! Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!!

That looks really really good!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

FlyFanatic Banned User

Thanx!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.