Thread: Largest smallmouth yellow caught?

FlyFanatic Banned User

Default Largest smallmouth yellow caught?

Hey guys, I was privileged enough to be able to catch a bus of a smallmouth last week, a full 4kg!! PB!! For someone who's only been fly fishing for a year, me thinks thats pretty lucky!!

It got me thinking, what really is the largest smallmouth ever caught on fly?? Ive heard of one just over 7kg's!! And I know for a fact, fishing buddy of mine caught a 5.9kg fish.

So please share photos of your biggest fish ever caught, would be nice to find out how big they really can become!!

Very nice.

Having had the or so on the 6Kg mark in the last year, let me tell you they fight like demons.

A mate of a mate caught ether an 8.16kg or an 8.61kg specimen (weighed on a certified scale) last year or the year before. I've been working on getting a pic but these guys aren't the type to care about records or acclaim, just catching massive fish.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

FlyFanatic Banned User

DAMN!!!!! Thats a monster!!! 8kg's????? Thats scary stuff.. because if smallmouths can grow to 8kg.. what the hell does largies grow to??? 25kg? 30kg?

Well if you read some of the literature from the days of yore, you will find farmers in the 60s/70s complaining that the fishing isn't as good as it used to be because they 'only caught a handfull of 20lb fish this past weekend'

Largies are known to get to 25Kgs, I bet you will find them even bigger than that.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Default My PB...

I caught my PB in Sept and although there was no scale to confirm the correct weight, I new it was one of my biggest SM. I estimated the weight between 3-4kg.. Whats your take
    A woman who has never seen her husband fly-fish, doesn't know what a patient man she married!

http://dirkleroux.blogspot.com/

FlyFanatic Banned User

well mine was 4kg, weighed with 2 separate scales, so my guess is that bus of yours, is at least 4 kg, maybe even in the 4.5 region!! Beautiful fish!!

It is almost impossible to "judge"the weight of a fish from a picture.
    Normally the pic does not show the girth of the fish.

Length alone means nothing, A Kariba Dam tiger of 10lbs, would be half the length of a Chirundu tiger of the same weight.

The 4 kg SM I caught this winter was "shorter" than than my PB of 4.3 kg by far. She was however in prime winter condition, (Something like me), Fit fat and flourishing.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    It is almost impossible to "judge"the weight of a fish from a picture.
    Normally the pic does not show the girth of the fish.

Length alone means nothing, A Kariba Dam tiger of 10lbs, would be half the length of a Chirundu tiger of the same weight.

The 4 kg SM I caught this winter was "shorter" than than my PB of 4.3 kg by far. She was however in prime winter condition, (Something like me), Fit fat and flourishing.
    I was there...I saw that friggin bomb....on an Olive Klinky...mine was 2.8kg...my PB also on a Olive Klinky...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.