Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Old fasioned flies"

Question "Old fasioned flies"

Hi Fliers,
    I was at the Vaal near Parys at the weekend and had a pretty dismal weekend, only got 4 yellows (1 of 2kg, though) and two muddies. There were a few guys that seemed to be getting all the fish, the rest of us stood and watched.!
    The last time I was there was last December/January (as I use the autumn and winter months to explore trout venues) so maybe I'm a bit rusty. I think also that I may be out of touch with flies being used? I was told last December that the flies I was using were "old fasioned"? I have GRHE, hot spots, brassies, copper john's and my favourite is a 12 Spekboom shrimp, all of which got me great results last year?. I matched the leader length these guys were using and changed flies regularly, doing all things I did last summer, so how come I caught so badly? Any help will be welcomed, thanks!
    ps: I was wearing my lucky orange sock, so it's not that!

Quote Originally Posted by flyy3 View Post
    Hi Fliers,
    I was at the Vaal near Parys at the weekend and had a pretty dismal weekend, only got 4 yellows (1 of 2kg, though) and two muddies. There were a few guys that seemed to be getting all the fish, the rest of us stood and watched.!
    The last time I was there was last December/January (as I use the autumn and winter months to explore trout venues) so maybe I'm a bit rusty. I think also that I may be out of touch with flies being used? I was told last December that the flies I was using were "old fasioned"? I have GRHE, hot spots, brassies, copper john's and my favourite is a 12 Spekboom shrimp, all of which got me great results last year?. I matched the leader length these guys were using and changed flies regularly, doing all things I did last summer, so how come I caught so badly? Any help will be welcomed, thanks!

But did you have the lucky pants on to match

Welcome to the forum,the Yellow fundis will help answer your questions,enjoy the forum and good luck on the next trip.

Cheers Nick.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Hi Fliers,
    Firstly welcome to the forums Andrew.
    All the flies mentioned above will catch yellows. You mentioned you were fishing last weekend. This was when the canoe race was happening and the flows were up and down like a yo-yo.
    My personal experience is that feeding activity increases as the flows start rising, but decrease when the flows are dropping, especially with such radical changes as were experienced last weekend.

When you mentioned " Old Fashioned Flies " i thought you were going to name: Mrs Simpson, Walkers Killer, etc.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Booger Rose Banned User

Hi Fliers,
    Welcome on forum. I also fished Vaal this weekend and struggled a bit to pick up the yellows at first. I started casting straight upstream and kept good control of my line, striking with the smallest of movements on the indicator and picked up few yellows this way. They were realy biting skelm and fast. Sometimes the smallest of movements on indicator were a yellow taking the fly. Previous times the yellows would just take of at spead with no need to even strike.

Nothing wrong with those flies I'm afraid.I carry all of them.

What is a Spekboom shrimp?

G

Ps.Have a look at my favourate nymphs.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Nothing wrong with those flies I'm afraid.I carry all of them.

What is a Spekboom shrimp?

G

Ps.Have a look at my favourate nymphs.
    Eeiisshhh Boet, there is enough copper in there for Telkom to give you a new landline.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Eeiisshhh Boet, there is enough copper in there for Telkom to give you a new landline.
    Herman,that is the copper from his land line
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Hehehe - Spekboom Shrimp on the vaal?

That is an interesting one but i guess it is kind of caddis-like.

Gerrit - The spekboom shrimp is a pellet immitation design to "match the hatch" for the trout of the spekboom river!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Hehehe - Spekboom Shrimp on the vaal?

That is an interesting one but i guess it is kind of caddis-like.

Gerrit - The spekboom shrimp is a pellet immitation design to "match the hatch" for the trout of the spekboom river!
    Nee man manne,I'm not getting it,really??? or should I go and get some blankets or 3
    to cover my red face

G

The weather (barometric pressure and whatnot) was giving most people a hard time last week-end. At Elgro they only landed fish on the Friday, the Saturday and Sunday was one constant battle with little reward.

Well, you said the other people were into the fish, next time wade a bit closer and ask what they are doing right? Also, you sure your flies were getting to the bottom in the feeding zone?

Best to plan a revenge trip asap!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast