Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: February 2009 Freshwater Fly Swap

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    My Soft Hackles are done! hehe - okay maybe a bit too eager. Now just to do the beetles.
    The early bird catches the worm! Well done!

This beetle pattern, is there any requirements to it? Floating, emerger, etc?

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
    Hi JJ
    There are no requirements for the beetle pattern.
    Tie whatever you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
    Emerging beetles are the biz!!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Oh LOL, that must be interesting...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Oh LOL, that must be interesting...
    Right on MIKE, this should be informative. Cant wait.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Hi guys,

My 11 soft hackles were tied today, but I have a question about the beetles. Has anyone ever used tan floating beetles? I have a nice foam pattern that I would like to try, but my black foam is a little too thick.

If tan beetles don't work too well, is there a good way to make the foam a little thinner? I will need to take of a little less than a millimeter for it to fold the way I want it to.

Kind regards,
    PTN

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Tail Nymph View Post
    Hi guys,

My 11 soft hackles were tied today, but I have a question about the beetles. Has anyone ever used tan floating beetles? I have a nice foam pattern that I would like to try, but my black foam is a little too thick.

If tan beetles don't work too well, is there a good way to make the foam a little thinner? I will need to take of a little less than a millimeter for it to fold the way I want it to.

Kind regards,
    PTN
    Nothing wrong with tan beetles, think most guys tie black ones by default so it'll be cool to have a mix of colours. Maybe try and colour them with a permanent marker, you could get some really nice effects. You can get them from art stores for around R30 bucks each and they last forever.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Nothing wrong with tan beetles, think most guys tie black ones by default so it'll be cool to have a mix of colours. Maybe try and colour them with a permanent marker, you could get some really nice effects. You can get them from art stores for around R30 bucks each and they last forever.
    You can colour the top of the beetle hot pink if you like...it makes no damn difference, as the fish never sees the top! It's the bottom that matters...which we normally make dark. More importantly is the shape, legs, maybe filoplume feathers palmered around the hook for legs, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Tail Nymph View Post
    Hi guys,

Kind regards,
    PTN
    Jocko i am not sure it will apply to your pattern, but you could use some dark scudback material to cover the foam. If it is translucent scudback you will have a very nice effect with the light foam underneath it.

I tie a waterboatman pattern this way - foam is that foam with the pearly shine one one side. That side goes on top with brown scudback covering it - very nice effect.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Mine are just going to be plain black beetles but with a very bubbly underside (you will have to wait and see! )

Cheers
    G
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.