Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Flytalk Rock 'n Surfers

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Arthur, how are you looking for Friday night? We can maybe organize something if you are bok
    I am up to it - PM me your number again I lost it when my cellphone was toasted recently.I haven't got a new one yet.
    Andrew Wright

Booger Rose Banned User

I've been hitting the surf just about every morning, try to make my first cast 04:00 be back home at 07:00 and in the office at 08:00. Macassar is fishing good at the moment with some nice cobbies and real nice shad coming out. Since yesterday morning the weather turned and I also broke my reel, so fishing for next day or two is out. Hopefully back at the water by Sunday morning, if they can fix my reel in time.

Chris what are you getting on your side of the mountain?

I have been catching Kabeljou everyday so far for the past two weeks. I was at the usual spot at 4 am yesterday morning and quickly picked up another one in the dark. Conditions rapidly changed after first light though, with the swell starting to pick up despite the low tide. By 9am the spot was unfishable. We'll have to wait for the next cycle I'm afraid, so no all nighter for me tonight, I'm going to catch up on some family time instead.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Hi there Chris

What size are the Cob you're getting? You fishing at Melkbos I presume?

On the Strand side weve also been getting some small Cob and the Spotties are wall to wall. Have not seen any Elf yet which is strange if the guys are getting them at Macassar. Maybe we need a good strong Southerly.

Cheers
    MC

Booger Rose Banned User

Hi MC

I checked on some water temps on weather SA site and it looks as if the water temp go down with Kalkbay (20.2) on highest and Gordonsbay (18) on lowest temp. Maybe that have something to do with it? I think we need South Easter to realy pump for three days again.

Guys also picked up nice size kobbies at Strandfontein with some of the boats - fishing close to shore at the pool - picking them up between 10 - 13 kg. Also know of two 10kg+ kob coming out at Wolfgat, next to Monwabisi.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Hi there Chris

What size are the Cob you're getting? You fishing at Melkbos I presume?

On the Strand side weve also been getting some small Cob and the Spotties are wall to wall. Have not seen any Elf yet which is strange if the guys are getting them at Macassar. Maybe we need a good strong Southerly.

Cheers
    MC
    Hi MC. With all the holiday makers about I have been avoiding Melkbos like the plague, but there are reports of plenty undersize kob coming out at the slip. The spot I have been fishing is on the Blouberg side of the same reef that extends around to the Melkbos slip, and of the 20 odd Kob that I have landed to date over the past two weeks, only 5 have been undersize. I've been taken into the kelp and to the cleaners by big cob on 2 occasions. My biggest kob landed was 4kg. The average size of the keepers are about 55cm. The spot is extremely temperamental though, it is not a matter of just casting and hoping for the best. I seem to have worked it out pretty well though, homing in on the various hot spots at different states of the tide and putting in plenty of darkness hours and have been amply rewarded for my efforts. I landed a beautiful 55cm Elf at the same spot a week ago, bigger than anything I have seen on the Muizenberg side for quite a while. The same morning a few of us had our hooks bitten off, basically because we weren't prepared or geared for Elf. It can be a very exciting spot when the conditions are right, but can be as dead as a dodo as soon as anything changes. You are more than welcome to join me sometime.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 09-01-09 at 02:04 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Ok, so my usual spot on the Westcoast was an absolute mess this morning. Tons of kelp washed up on the beach and extremely rough conditions. The SE started picking up an hour ago and already there are visible signs of flattening. Water was 17 deg C which is perfect for the species we are targetting. As soon as the sea calms down fishing will start to pick up again. What we want is a good SE blow today and then the wind must bugger off completely!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    You are more than welcome to join us Grant. I have a spare rod and reel that you are more than welcome to use as a introduction. Will be really great to have you with us!
    No need mon frere!

I am now kitted with Kingfisher Poseidon 5, Shimano Torium 30 and all the braid and line and other geer needed!!!

Tomorrow i start with a baptism of fire - Bronzies at Strandfontein!!! I figure the best way is to start with the big fish and work my way down to species i can handle! Starting small only gets my the cursed bl***tail.

I will be watching these threads to see if i can possibly tag along on some trips and learn the tricks of the trade!

Bring on the bronzies tomorrow!!!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    No need mon frere!

I am now kitted with Kingfisher Poseidon 5, Shimano Torium 30 and all the braid and line and other geer needed!!!

Tomorrow i start with a baptism of fire - Bronzies at Strandfontein!!! I figure the best way is to start with the big fish and work my way down to species i can handle! Starting small only gets my the cursed bl***tail.

I will be watching these threads to see if i can possibly tag along on some trips and learn the tricks of the trade!

Bring on the bronzies tomorrow!!!
    Way to go Grant,!! stuff the small fry!!
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Awesome Grant, glad you have seen the light! Welcome to our 'elite' little band of proper fishermen

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast