Thread: iSimangaliso Wetlands (Lake Sibaya area)

Default iSimangaliso Wetlands (Lake Sibaya area)

Hi guys,

I just received an e-mail from the Wetlands people as above for which many thanks to them.

In short, they have drawn up an Integral Management Plan, which in Myspeak means a five year plan to try and enhance the area and to block any untoward 'development'.

This area was the first World Heritage Site within South Africa, promulgated I think in 2000. I understand they intend having the area declared as a Marine Protected Area which would mean no mining etc etc

The plan is available for viewing on the web (imp@acerafrica.co.za). Various libraries will have the document available for viewing as well.

Comments/suggestions, if any, to be formally submitted to them by 18th Feb 2009. Persons I/C are Ms's Bongi Shinga and June Mottram. Send to e-mail above or tel 035 340 2715 fax 035 340 2232

FYI iSimangaliso's e-mail is iSimangaliso@ilink247.com

I havn't yet had a chance to personally review the document, but bearing in mind holidays I thought I'd 'spread the word' ASAP for interested parties - of which I'd hope most Forumers would like to be involved.

Cheers again to all, have a goodie!
    Last edited by chris williams; 24-12-08 at 05:11 PM.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Chris, you seem to get your fingers into all these kind of things. Keep up the good work.

I don't know the area (Lake Sibaya) itself but the rest of the park (formally known as St Lucia Wetlands) is definitely one of our most valuable assets and is well worth a visit. I don't know why these mining folk can't just f@ck off and go turn some other rocks for something valuable. They've been trying now for years to mine this area.

I had a look at their website (www.acerafrica.co.za) and it sure looks like they're doing a good job.

Thank you for the info.
    Last edited by frikb; 12-01-09 at 09:10 AM.
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein