Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaal Flows update please

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    at least it does not cause a rash on the old one-eyed trouser snake!! ... I would rather dring our sea water than YOUR Vaal stuff boet!!!
    That is why you wrap yourself up in three black plastic bags and then climp into your radiation proof waders Jasper.....duh!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Vaal at Schoemansdrift 2009-03-04 20:00 0.937 178.55 C2H122 Stage Data Rain Photo Outflow from Vaal Dam (G) 2009-03-04 20:36 1.169 157.20
    C2H140 Stage Data Rain Photo Vaal at Goose Bay Canyon 2009-03-04 20:00 1.162 189.30

Who want's to fish below the Dam Wall and above Gariep this weekend

BTW, the Vaal Dam is now 100.4% full.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

FlyFanatic Banned User

Ahh bugger! No fishing for another 2 weeks at least!!

Btw Herman, the Vaaldam's max capacity is 120% after they raised the wall. But i guess they wouldnt want to ride close to that number, always good to keep a buffer, never know what could happen..

The dam went up to 116% FWICR in 2005 when we had the 1300 tons per second release.

That screwed the river up for MONTHS, not only weeks.

The outlook as it is now is pretty bleak, thankfully it's still only March. If the big man closes the shower taps we could see fair fishing again by half way into April.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    The dam went up to 116% FWICR in 2005 when we had the 1300 tons per second release.

That screwed the river up for MONTHS, not only weeks.

The outlook as it is now is pretty bleak, thankfully it's still only March. If the big man closes the shower taps we could see fair fishing again by half way into April.
    Bertu, I have to agree that mid April is a good call.
    However, the way the temps and weather are going Mid April is not going to be rapids fishing. The Oak trees in VdBjl are already half yellow, Autumn (such as it is ) is already upon us.
    Clean up the Arks , get the dries tied, mid April is going to be glides, +1m deep, and dry fly action.
    Whoopppeee, an extended winter, roll on July with flows of 10 tons.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Bertu, I have to agree that mid April is a good call.
    However, the way the temps and weather are going Mid April is not going to be rapids fishing. The Oak trees in VdBjl are already half yellow, Autumn (such as it is ) is already upon us.
    Clean up the Arks , get the dries tied, mid April is going to be glides, +1m deep, and dry fly action.
    Whoopppeee, an extended winter, roll on July with flows of 10 tons.
    "So bek moet jam kry!"

[I have noticed that I am now arriving at work during the night...]

I cannot wait Herman; only 'problem' is I have made 'dates' with so many forum members for this approaching winter I will have to spend at least 2 days a week on the Vaal to get all the trips done This even with an extended winter.

Oh, what a tough life I have

Ah yes Barend, the "dates" hehehe.

Summer = busy, group fishing, Vaal Trips, etc.

Winter = solitude, quiet, tip toe, pics of frozen spider webs, paddling through the mist with 5 metre visibility, but knowing you are on course, OBS, finding the surface feeders, sight fishing with dry, and occassionally taking someone who appreciates all of the above with you.

I love winter on the Vaal

Latest Data :

Vaal at Schoemansdrift 2009-03-05 21:00 0.922 170.76
    Outflow from Vaal Dam (G) 2009-03-05 21:00 1.172 158.41
    Vaal at Goose Bay Canyon 2009-03-05 21:00 1.134 180.01

No rain to speak of in the last 2 days. Don't know about Ermalo, Standerton side.

This is just my opinion, but:

I doubt we will be seeing constant flows in winter again...

During the previous season it became clear to me that there was a continual process of opening and closing of the Barrage as a means of artificially stimulating the water flow and resultant quality of water below the barrage.

The typical behaviour was to keep the flow at around 15 cubes during the week, welling up the level behind the barrage with additional water being let into the system usually up to the 20 and sometimes even the 30 cubes mark from around Thursday or Friday. This definitely had a negative effect on the viz with this past winter not really having true "Winter" Vaal viz at all. (Recall two seasons ago with viz of +4M in places)

This is more likely than not due to the increase in levels of pollution, and as an artificial means to prevent buildup of decaying organic material on the river bed (hiacynth dies off in winter) and in an effort to try and control the increase of parasitic invasions one finds in low flow conditions such as you have during winter when fish have their metabolisms and concurrently with that, their immune systems slowed down due to the water temperature, making them more suseptible to the parasites.

The principle behind it is sound, IF you're not a fly fisherman wanting constant flows which inevitably brings with it good visibility.

Look, I've caught Largies in 60 cubes with 50cm viz, it's just not a lot of fun.

Hopefully I'm wrong, we'll see what happens this year.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Bertu,
    Firstly good to see that you have some time off from "work exile".

Secondly a very well thought out post, telling it how it could be, and in all probability will be.

Even though the flows may be up and down, and the vis k@k, winter on the Vaal is still a very special time of the year, especially if you are there for the "fishing" and not the fish.

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast