Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with Yellows Rig

I was on the wter between the 16th and the 27th.

Was very interresting to again see how rising and falling flow rates affect the moods of the fish. Will make for interresing comparison to go fish it now on fairly steady flows.

I'm aiming to get onto the water again this week before the real madness starts next week. Tied up a stack of Peacock & Yellow FL Caddis as well as some Peacock & Callibaetis emegers.

*buuuuuurp*
    *zweeeeeeee*

I forgot how much fun nymphing can be at times. Will definately send a few more days this season sharpening the old skills again but I must tell you I am looking forward to long lines, dray flay & buggers gallore.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I'm aiming to get onto the water again this week before the real madness starts next week
    Let me know when and where, its your turn to drive
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    Hi Jeremy

You can indeed catch muddies in the mouth in a stream using NZ style, done it myself. It is all about the speed and place your flies are at the time. Again it boils down to weight and getting the flies down. Due to the fact that the muddies mouth is where it is your flies need to be on the bottom, which you can do with NZ style and moving slightly slower than the speed of the water, you basically induce drag.

To clarify, I can successfully target muddies where a mix of muddies and yellows are around and successfully target yellows in the same situation just by slowing the flies down for muddies or having the flies go at about the same speed as the water for yellows. If you go heavier you can control your drift such that your flies moves slower than the water.

I have seen this done by others as well, so it is not only my experience.

There is much more to fishing the Vaal than often meet the eye.

How's this for irony:

I tried the 3 fly CZN rig and caught two small 300g yellows. I then went into the rapids with the NZ rig and strip technique. I foul hooked my PB yellow to date (2.5kg) and then caught a mudfish (IN THE MOUTH).

Hi Jeremy

Definitely a good thread to go look at.

Few notes however.

1. It is not absolutely a must to fish with 3 flies, work with 2 flies on the new rig till you are confident then change to three.
    2. When fishing multiple flies on a rig, distance between flies are your friend, at bear minimim 40cm between flies, to up to 60cm.
    3. Nothing stops you from using splitshot, but bare your fly weight combination in mind as well(if you can rely only on fly weight it is better as to the natural swim of the team)
    4. Even with a complete new rig, your drift is still key.

Pieter

Why would distance between your flies be your friend? No matter how far you place them apart they are still going to follow the same route due to the heavier dropper pulling it wherever it wants to go. On that note, which flows faster the top, point or dropper fly? Who's leading who?

I space my flies only 30cm apart - works for me, but I would love to know whether spacing them further apart would make a difference. All I can see with a longer leader setup is more tangles, not so?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyr View Post
    How's this for irony:

I tried the 3 fly CZN rig and caught two small 300g yellows. I then went into the rapids with the NZ rig and strip technique. I foul hooked my PB yellow to date (2.5kg) and then caught a mudfish (IN THE MOUTH).
    How many times have you replicated that? I normally prefer it to proof an technique by repeating the feat more than once.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

i believe that the longer the distance from control fly to point fly the more natural the movement of the point fly, which in my case is almost always unweighted (imagine it wafting around in the current) so the less tension there should be on the line between control fly and point fly therefore it's more likely that the point fly will simply bounce off the back of a Muddie or SM as opposed to hooking and penetrating it.

Well that's what I believe anyway.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Why would distance between your flies be your friend?
    First a disclaimer, my views might not fit you or your style of fishing. Since I started to distance my flies I have been foul hooking much less fish than before I did so. I would put that to the fact that if a fish shows interest in your flies, but you do not catch it, you do not foul it with the next fly.

No matter how far you place them apart they are still going to follow the same route due to the heavier dropper pulling it wherever it wants to go. On that note, which flows faster the top, point or dropper fly? Who's leading who?
    It depends on what you are doing in the end(drift), if you are truly employing a dead drift I would imagine they pretty much follows the heavy fly. If you employ a little bit of a lead you might be lifting certain flies of the bottom.

Another thing to consider is where is your weight, top, middle or point. I change that frequently, although it is always suggested that your flies must be at the bottom, I (my view) do not always see it that way, I change my drifts and setup such that in certain instances my flies might be swimming in defferent levels of the water, so I would actually say in my way of fishing (my view) at least one fly is at the bottom at any time. In books like Presentation it is said and implied that you present both above and below water, you need to experiment with your setup and drift and at the same time try to see or imagine just what your flies are actually doing in the water and what you are doing above the water does to your flies below the surface (hope you get what I am trying to say)

I space my flies only 30cm apart - works for me, but I would love to know whether spacing them further apart would make a difference. All I can see with a longer leader setup is more tangles, not so?
    Should not tangle all that much more, considering that if you flies are normally 30cm apart and you go to 40cm apart effective change is only 20cm and for 50cm only 40cm. Little time to get used to and you will not know the difference at all.
    PK

Thanks Pieter. Here is something interesting. We went to the Vaal on Saturday and my friend moved his strike indicator to about 30cm above his top fly. Fishing in chest deep water he managed to hook 4 muddies on the top fly in about half an hour, all on the top fly about 30cm under the surface and about 1m above the bottom of the river. Makes one think.

Michael Petersen once told me that flyfishing and SWAMBO's are exactly the same - there are only 4 things you must keep in mind:

Size
    Depth
    Speed and;
    Colour.

Thanks Pieter. Here is something interesting. We went to the Vaal on Saturday and my friend moved his strike indicator to about 30cm above his top fly. Fishing in chest deep water he managed to hook 4 muddies on the top fly in about half an hour, all on the top fly about 30cm under the surface and about 1m above the bottom of the river. Makes one think.

Michael Petersen once told me that flyfishing and SWAMBO's are exactly the same - there are only 4 things you must keep in mind:

Size
    Depth
    Speed and;
    Colour.
    I noticed that I sometimes get takes at the end of the drift when the flies lift of the bottom, and started to play with my control fly position and tried to get my flies in different water depths and it paid off, you can't just fish you must think and fish.

Michael Peterson has some wise words there.
    PK

How many times have you replicated that? I normally prefer it to proof an technique by repeating the feat more than once.
    Have not replicated it yet... It was just that my problem had been foul hooking muddies, and then the damn reverse starts happening.....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast