Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: taking flytying material to Nz

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Tell him to go live in Gore toward the bottom of the SI, pretty much the NZ equivalent of Rhodes i.t.o. amount of awesome water within a 50km radius, only difference is the fish are about 10 times bigger and mostly browns
    That's what we tell you
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
    Gary, I think the best bet is for your brother-in-law to hand the material over to you.
    Do I sense another "Mario Xmas" type swap coming on...? In this case, the recipient can definitely be ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME

Just an update on this thread from a personal experience point of view.

For holidays, I still suggest you only bring tied flies + make sure all your equipment is COMPLETELY clean (check nets, vest, boots for seeds etc) and dry.

I packed all my tying material in the front of the container, clearly marked it and mentioned it on the forms.

MAF Biosecurity inspection went down without a hitch, no problems.

Don't bother with fumigation / radiation etc before coming over, unless the fumigation is done this side it does not carry any weight.

So bottom line, don't burn or give away all your material if you ever decide to move to NZ
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

They never checked my container in Oz...pretty miffed about it! Gave me some grief on my way back in January. Quarantine wanted to know if my flies were dry (to which I replied: No, I nymph as well :P)
    Last edited by Rendier; 23-02-11 at 12:08 PM.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

I found when I lived in Oz I had no problems taking my stuff to and fro provided it was with other stuff in containers - I still fumigated materials purely as a matter of responsibility - not in case I got caught. However when I used to import material from overseas as special parcels I used to get a grilling by Aussie Quarantine/Customs - quite right too...I always made sure the imported stuff had been properly treated by reputable fly material companies beforehand and that not only would it comply with the standards but also I'd be satisfied I wouldn't be bringing in some dodgy stuff. I think I usually had more germs on me than my materials...
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3