Thread: Brookwoods River Yellows

Default Brookwoods River Yellows

So i went out on Saturday to go and do some fishing at Brookwoods, wasn't to interested in fishing in any of the dams, so had a go in the river in some very fishy looking spots. Needless to say i hit a complete blank for the day.

Has anybody had any luck in the river there? there top dam was teaming with yellows all patrolling the surface margin but it was pretty busy and i didn't feellike trying to wrestle someone for some fishing space.

lived in the area for 2.5 years at kloofzicht. had alot of success with the yellows there and at brookwood. tied a mulberry imitation which worked like a dream.
    “Caution is a most valuable asset in fishing, especially if you are the fish.”

If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing rods.

@ Brookwood you can actually have some good luck if you hit the right spots!

Below the main bass dam is a spot where a log lies over the stream.

Fish upsteam of the log into the hole between the little run and the log itsself.

You should pick up a rainbow or 2 there... then further upstream is a willow on the bank closest to the bass dam... the ssy seem to school there and are willing to take ddd's plopped just infront of the structure with a good drag free drift.

The bows seem to like big buggers and the yellows fine & dry... best of luck!
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Default Sounds worth a visit!

Great info on Brookwoods! I looked at the website and figured I'd give the dams a miss....but the river sounds like a bit of fun!
    It can't ALL be bull...

Unfortunately, I believe the Krugesdorp municipality ran out of processing power in their sewerage works, over Christmas... you will work very hard to catch a live Yellow in the stream at the moment. Some might say that you will work hard for a long time…
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

That river used to be a pleasure to fish in the 70s/early 80s - wild and free... Now yet another example of municipality ineptitude ruining a cool little place.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Unfortunately, I believe the Krugesdorp municipality ran out of processing power in their sewerage works, over Christmas... you will work very hard to catch a live Yellow in the stream at the moment. Some might say that you will work hard for a long time…
    EEEEP!!!!

Well thats the end of that then.... That little stretch of dirty stream has been in a poor state for a long time, I guess the latest debacle is the final nail in the proverbial coffin for the Blauuwbank.

Looks like all that's left to do at Brookwood is stockie bash... Enjoy
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Default Thanks for the warning!

I guess with all this rain I must be getting antsy. As for stockie bashing, I'd rather stay home and bugger up some classic fly patterns - at least I'll learn something that way. Only 2,567 flies to tie before my new vise pays for itself.....
    It can't ALL be bull...

Quote Originally Posted by TooHigh_TooDry View Post
    I guess with all this rain I must be getting antsy. As for stockie bashing, I'd rather stay home and bugger up some classic fly patterns - at least I'll learn something that way. Only 2,567 flies to tie before my new vise pays for itself.....
    Ahhhh, thats not really true, you will now start buying new and intresting materials...... there goes that theory....
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

I haven't tried the river at brookwood. I've seen the buggers and I'd say they are quite big in proportion to the river they are in. I would say size 16 and smaller would do the job. I also turned over some rocks and found quite a lot of caddis which is quite surprising given that the pollution has only worsened and sewage spills happen more often. I've seen some real chunks of yellows coming out of kloofzichts part of the river.