Thread: Striping Basket

Default Striping Basket

Was just wondering - How many of you guys use a striping basket on the Vaal? Do you find it useful and are there any limitations to your technique and movement when having the basket in front of you….
    A woman who has never seen her husband fly-fish, doesn't know what a patient man she married!

http://dirkleroux.blogspot.com/

Talking

I usually put my clothes down on the ground, real careful like!!!!

Sorry no - havent ever used a stripping basket. Have one, just anoys me. Gets in the way. and just one more thing to create drag when wading.

FlyFanatic Banned User

Dont think there is ever the need for stripping basket when nymphing the Vaal?? At least i have never needed one, so unless im doing something wrong, dont think its really needed.

Unless your after largies, then ill say yes, cuz long casts are the order of the day?

Quote Originally Posted by dleroux View Post
    Was just wondering - How many of you guys use a striping basket on the Vaal? Do you find it useful and are there any limitations to your technique and movement when having the basket in front of you….
    I once saw a couple of guys fishing at Vaal hackle with stripping baskets. they were chucking long lines with indicators upstream, and trying to beat the current with thier downstream strips. looked like seriously hard work for very few fish. there are so many ways to catch yellows, so if you want to make huge long casts and strip your malle dinges off, hey..who am I to argue.

If you're nymphing the rapids like most, it doesn't help you much, same with fishing from a boat, the basket is overkill.

It does however help if you're doing some shallow water streamer fishing, then it is of benefit.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.