Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fly line for Yellows!

Your choice of line for the Vaal, should be based on your style of fishing. The Airflo yellowfish line, is a nymphing line, and is designed with no streatch, for maximum detection of the subtle takes. If you are making longer casts , you will lose the advantage of the Airfo yellow fish line. The sharkskin lkine is designed for casting, as their is less drag on the rod guides due to the "stippled' surface. It also has very very low memory properties, and floats high on the water, ideal for dry flyfishing. If you are not after these properties, it is a waste of money for the Vaal. If you want it purely because it is going to give you a few extra meters, your money would be better spent on improving your casting.

Andre, good advice - as always. Is the SS however only a floating line? Hope I'm not hijacking the thread?
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Andre, good advice - as always. Is the SS however only a floating line? Hope I'm not hijacking the thread?
    yes shark skin line is only available in the floating option. A sinking shark skin line, would serves no advantage, except for its castability, which is not going to be a factor to justify the extra cost. To me, the fact that it floats high on the water, allows for awesom easy mending, without disturbing the water surface any more than neccessarry. if you need this on the Vaal, you know something I don't. It is a great line for tight stream applications, due to ts low memory, and therefore high accuracy.
    My line of choice for yellowfihs, is still the Airflo yellowfish line, as I tend to nyph mostly, but this line can still be cast out if needed, and can present a reasonable dry.

The Ultimat Trout Tapper... in Blue Heron grey... my choice.

Cant say i have tried the GPX in SS...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Hi Mike, I've seen the SS lines in the shops but I've never used an SS or seen one in use, are they also available in intermediate and sinking as well? Or is it just a special line coating for floating lines?
    I believe that there is work on an Intermidiat, but the beauty of the coating, is that it ride very high on the surface and can be lifted off very easily.
    Mike McKeown

Mike and others,

So what's the verdict on the guides after a season?

Sci-Angler did a test, and it was interesting to see that the guides were actually smother and showed less wear than with a conventional line. It kind of reconditioned them...

Don’t have the exact details with me...
    Mike McKeown

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    yes shark skin line is only available in the floating option. A sinking shark skin line, would serves no advantage, except for its castability, which is not going to be a factor to justify the extra cost. To me, the fact that it floats high on the water, allows for awesom easy mending, without disturbing the water surface any more than neccessarry. if you need this on the Vaal, you know something I don't. It is a great line for tight stream applications, due to ts low memory, and therefore high accuracy.
    My line of choice for yellowfihs, is still the Airflo yellowfish line, as I tend to nyph mostly, but this line can still be cast out if needed, and can present a reasonable dry.
    Thanks Andre, that's just what I needed to know!

My real deep-seated thought, I guess was, could the SS floating line technology - avec attendant sophistication - be adapted to an intermediate line without all the memory of certain brands?

I agree 100 pct it would be wasted on a sinking line.

Whether such a line could be produced as 'invisible' to us or the fish - if it matters at all - is yet another question..

it would be wasted on a sinking line.
    Well for saltwater applications, were every foot of distance counts, if will be very advantageous, so that’s where I believe they are working on it.
    Mike McKeown

Thanks Mike, I'm glad the technos are doing what I'm just dreaming!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast