Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Fly line for Yellows!

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Doesn't make a sound on the Sage, funny that........
    That's the only rod I've heard it on...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Oh yes it does...

I quit like it, adds another component to my "feel"...
    When it Zings, I know the line is firing, when it just zips, its not really shooting, but, I actually found myself controlling presentation with more than just feel, I can also hear the line slowing and depending on what I want to do, will make the adjustment when needed...

I thought about it quite a lot, and when I fish other lines, I have to adjust for a few minutes...
    Awesome a line with sound effects, must be the built in MP3 player that pushes the price up. It's a whole new take on line memory and opens up a new frontier for convergence.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    That's the only rod I've heard it on...

Awesome a line with sound effects, must be the built in MP3 player that pushes the price up. It's a whole new take on line memory and opens up a new frontier for convergence.
    Of course it makes the sound on the Sage, i was only being sarcastic...again. I thave used this line for more than 2 years extensivly on the Z-Axis, and have come to regard the sound affectionatly, as part of the package. It was a bit strange at first, but got used to it, to the extent i don't hear it any more. When i fish with someone, they say..."what was that sound???... i go.."what sound".......

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Of course it makes the sound on the Sage, i was only being sarcastic...again. I thave used this line for more than 2 years extensivly on the Z-Axis, and have come to regard the sound affectionatly, as part of the package. It was a bit strange at first, but got used to it, to the extent i don't hear it any more. When i fish with someone, they say..."what was that sound???... i go.."what sound".......
    How thin are your fingers after two years?

Well, the experts say that memory is the "surface" tension on the external coating... and it makes a whole bunch of sense, if you think about it...

When you wined the line around something line the arbor of a reel, one side gets compressed and the other stretched, so when you unwind it, memory is considered to be the difference between the compressed and stretched sides. Line manufactures have been working their arses off trying to figure out how to create a polymer that will recover as quickly as possible from this scenario.

The SS was not suffer from this side effect, because the line does not have two smooth sides, but is “rippled”, there is no tension between the molecules and thus no surface tension.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Sorry for coming in so late ,
    I'm busy testing a Ridge, nymph line for Gary.
    My findings to date ( about 20 trips ). The line has NO memory, floats high and is easily mendable. After a full days fishing the tip still floats, which may be due to the welded loop.
    It loads the rod quickly ( like at 6m ) and still casts a full line with ease.
    I was specifically asked NOT to clean the line at all for the first year, just to test the theory that the Ridge lines build up dirt in the valleys and start sinking. Well as I said earlier , there has been no sign of that.
    If I'm correct the line has the same technology in the core as the Sixth sense range = no stretch, and I must say that when a fish takes you feel it straight away.
    As to the price of the line, I have no idea, don't even know if it's been released yet.
    Competency of the line on the Vaal, ? so far I'm pleasantly surprised, especially after all the negative reports about the original Ridge lines.
    hi all.
    firstly the yellowfish line has been discontinued. unfortunatly we brought it out 3 seasons too early. most of the anglers at the time were still long nymphing with huge strike indicators. the second we put a built in strike indicator, the perception was created that we could do away with the big floats and still ahve a line that will not be pulled under with tungsten flies. if the line is used as we had hoped, short line/checzch style its a good product.
    we did'nt realise that the competition guys would like it but the bulk of our market at the time would'nt. its been replaced with the newer ridge nymph.

Now the new nymph line is a different beast. That's what herman is using now.the difference lies in the taper design. the front taper is only 6ft long, creating the line speed to turn over teams of heavy flies or extended leaders 15ft and longer with hopper/dropper combinations. the standard wf config is 8ft long.
    The real key to the line is the rear taper which is 20ft long.
    The idea with this is so that when you need to mend the line its lifts easier and mends better. think of how thin a running line can be?
    the core is non stretch as with the 6th sense.
    they are available in stores.

An aside note, the new buzz in flylines is the extension of the rear tapers for the following reasons. better mending,the line sits higher in the water, the better anglers are able to hold more line in the air for longer casts in stillwater
    have a look at the RIO lines that have a similer idea.

if anything we might have missnamed the line by calling it the nymph taper because it seems to a good line for across the board fishing.

would i use this for stillwater, personally i do as i can throw the longer leaders and still get the delicate presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Mike and others,

So what's the verdict on the guides after a season?
    It's not the flyline that wears guides, it's dirt on the flyline that does the damage. The Sharkskin line in my experience doesn't seem to hold on to dirt like any of my other lines so by the fact that it is generally cleaner should mean that it will have less of a tendency to contribute to wear on rod guides.

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Well, the experts say that memory is the "surface" tension on the external coating... and it makes a whole bunch of sense, if you think about it...
    i was thinking more like is there only 4GB option or can you get it in 16Gb and 32Gb

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    It's not the flyline that wears guides, it's dirt on the flyline that does the damage. The Sharkskin line in my experience doesn't seem to hold on to dirt like any of my other lines so by the fact that it is generally cleaner should mean that it will have less of a tendency to contribute to wear on rod guides.
    Sweet Shaun,

Thanks for clearing that one up

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5