Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fly line for Yellows!

Default Fly line for Yellows!

Hi Guys!

I just bought a new setup for yellows and was looking for a new fly line to go with it! Im fishing the Yellow fishing line from Airflo at the moment but was thinking about the Scientific Angler's Shark Skin line! Is there something better out there for Yellows or is the Yellow Fish line the one!

Thanx!

Eddie!
    Carpe Diem

Eddie,

If u can afford the Shark skin go for it but be warned it's not practical.U are bound to stuff it up in the Vaal assuming we're talking Smallmouth Yellows in the Vaal.

I don't know the Airflow lines so I can't comment on them.

For Nymphing I use a line by Teeny ~ Kelly Gallop to be exact.It's a line spesificly designed for nymphing and weighted flies.

For Dry fly fishing I use a #4 weight forward floating line by Teeny.The latter I use on the rod we spoke about yesterday.

Cheers
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 12-02-09 at 08:38 AM.

Hi Rod

I use the Rio Gold line and I have to say its a very good line. If you have a chance try it out... Im sure you'll like it!

Cheers
    Troep

Firstly, let me start off by saying, you are going to get numerous comments about the cost of the Shark Skin line…

I have fished my Shark Skin on the Vaal and other places for Yellows for a while now, I have tested it against, amounts others an Airflow Ridge Line, Airflow Nymph Tapper, Sci-Angler GPX WF, Sci-Angler GPX DT, Sci- Angler Expert Distance and a Cortland 444

The Shark Skin, in mind has outperformed the others, however, I understand that there are other factors.
    1. Fishing Style – I prefer to fish a truck and trailer, NZ Rig, requiring some casting. I also prefer fishing on or near the surface, and always have a strip leach ready to go on a looped leader. Thus I want a line that will load the rod quickly and shoot well, maintaining acuaracy.
    2. Casting Proficiencies – I don’t believe you have to be an expert caster, this line helps. Not only in the casting, but also in mending.

Here’s my verdict on the lines.
    1. Shark Skin – effortless to cast, mends exceptionally well, has NO memory. It is also proving to outlast most of my other lines.

2. Sci-Angler Expert Distance / Airflow Ridge Line – these 2 lines performed almost equally well. One was slightly better at mending, the other slightly better at casting. They were both versatile and performed well. I must say that the extended belly of the expert distance is such a plus, it’s like having a DT, without it being a DT, so when you want to lay out a full line, off it goes, but then you can also mend it at distance. I did find that the ridge picked up dirt and needed cleaning a bit more often and when it was dirty, underperformed, picking up spray and sinking slightly.

3. The rest, good and bad points to each, each has its own applications, and you need to decide on your own needs.
    a. Nymph Tapper – great for nymphing, slaps the dry’s into the water.
    b. GPX – great all rounder, lacks the finesse of the previous two.
    c. 444 – great all rounder, found it’s memory a little concerning.

4. Double Tappers – I have fished them on the Vaal for a few seasons now, unless you only chuck nymph, this is the wrong line for the Vaal.

Remember that today you are looking for a line for the Vaal, but you are going to use the line for other applications, like Sterkies or for big still waters, I would get a line that casts and mends well…

These are my thoughts and findings…
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Thats the thing it not only going to be use on the vaal for sm yellows but on big still waters like sterkies and some trout waters! Thats why i dont think that the yellow fish line is going to be the right line! It works great for the vaal but i dont think its going to work so great on still water for presentation!
    Carpe Diem

Let me add that the SS presents the fly very well...

It is slightly lighter than other lines, but thats just an adjustment that take no time to get used to.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

I would also add:
    Are you experieced at fishing the Vaal?

If not, then I would consider an much cheaper line like the Courtland 444, and like MaXiMuM said, at the price it is a very good all rounder.

If you are experienced and know how to bully the fish out of structure, then if you can afford it go for what you want.

And now for a completely different suggestion.

Take your line and cut it down to somewhere between 12 and 15m and use 30 pound whiplash as backing.

End result is when you hook the big one there is much less drag caused by the flyline and much less of it to get stuck between rocks etc and the whiplash is very abrasion resistant.

I see on the wed page that there are a few different Shark Skin lines! Which one would be best Ultimate trout taper or the GPX?
    Carpe Diem

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Let me add that the SS presents the fly very well...

It is slightly lighter than other lines, but thats just an adjustment that take no time to get used to.
    Hi Mike, I've seen the SS lines in the shops but I've never used an SS or seen one in use, are they also available in intermediate and sinking as well? Or is it just a special line coating for floating lines?
    Last edited by chris williams; 12-02-09 at 12:23 PM.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast