Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: top 5 yellows pattern for w/end

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Control Fly = Heaviest fly, size 8 ot 10, 3.8mm bead ( tungsten) with anywhere from 10 - 20 wraps 0.15 dia lead. Normally fished in the middle of a 3 fly rig, but others prefer to fish it on the point.
    Called the "control fly" for good reason. When short line, Czech, or mono nymphing, it is used to control the depth and drag of the three fly rig. if you are simply chucking it out and dragging it along the bottom of the river, it is not a "control" fly, but just a heavy fly that causes drag.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Called the "control fly" for good reason. When short line, Czech, or mono nymphing, it is used to control the depth and drag of the three fly rig. if you are simply chucking it out and dragging it along the bottom of the river, it is not a "control" fly, but just a heavy fly that causes drag.
    Thanks Andre, a very good description of how the fly becomes the "control" fly.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Dark Olive Czech Nymph with orange hot spot and lead tape underbody. Use only one fly.

Fish it closer to the sides of the rapids (slower water). Take your time and you will see them feeding there.

Enjoy!

Thats a lot of advice, thanks guys.... am tying flies for the w/e. have about 16 or so guys in total joining, although not all will fish. As I have mentioned - it is my bachelors, and they will probably have me fish in "girli" clothes - hope that doesnt scare the fish away - , anyway, the advice is much appreciated.

Will let you know how it all turns out.
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2