Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blesbokspruit & Suikerbosrand River

Default Blesbokspruit & Suikerbosrand River

Gents, tell me....will you find yellow's in the metioned river systems? I've searched for hours now and cannot for the love find a site that mentiones the species in these two rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    I've caught SM, cats, carp and bass in the Blesbok. I would not go there anymore though, its not safe, nor is it pleasant to fish amongst tyres and used condoms and trollies. There are not many fish around either.

There was also at one stage LM in the Blesbok, I know fly fisherman who have caught.

We used to access the Blesbok in Nigel, near a rugby ground.

Pretty much the same story for the Suikerbos, although, if you know someone, its gets better
    Agreed 100%

The blesbok was never easy to fish but if you put in the work you used to be able to catch 4 to 5 fish, but it was a very different experience to the middle vaal. Pollution and personal safety are now serious issues though!

I'll pm you directions to a spot you can try - think it might be the same place Dizzy mentioned as its also in Nigel?
    Check your knots!

Thanks guy's!

..............but tell me, is the Suikerbosrand River also in a bad state? And Dizzy, you mentioned that "if you know someone"....are there places I could access the Suikerbosrand?

What I mean is if you know someone who has access to part of the river that runs through private land, the river is usually in a much better condition than in the public areas.

But......

with the rain of late, you will really have a tough time finding a "clean" stretch on either river!
    Thanks Dizzy..........who knows, maybe a few guy's on here know of a few places....skimp-skimp...wink-wink!?

There are, but they're classified as "Stream X"
    ........so Daryl, when you taking me to "Stream X"? skimp-skimp

There are most definitely still some spots of the blesbok that are good!

My folks have a smallholding on the wetland, and you can hit some good stretches of water. But yellows are few and far between. (mostly bass)

I would agree though that most if not all the decent water is on private land.
    There is ALOT of good slower moving water. But nice runs and riffles are a bit of a tall order in the areas I know. If you live close Its worth exploring but if youre driving for an hour to get there... drive elsewhere!
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Default Suikerbosrand

There's quite a nice spot on the Suikerbos just past Three rivers on the way out to Vischgat.
    There is always people popping in to check the river . The odd quad bike comes past and a few after work local fishermen so i think it is relatively safe . Mind you , we are in africa .
    The river is relatively clean and litter free .
    The last time i was there the rand water board were taking samples and they told me that the water there was actually in quite good condition . He also said that it was also one of the clearer rivers .
    I've seen some nice yellows and big catfish but caught niether ,only fished there twice for a few hours each on a very high river .
    I did foul hook a moggel ( well at least I think it was ) , looked more like a mullet but i wasn't in durban harbour thats for sure .

Quote Originally Posted by FISHERSMITH View Post
    There's quite a nice spot on the Suikerbos just past Three rivers on the way out to Vischgat.
    There is always people popping in to check the river . The odd quad bike comes past and a few after work local fishermen so i think it is relatively safe . Mind you , we are in africa .
    The river is relatively clean and litter free .
    The last time i was there the rand water board were taking samples and they told me that the water there was actually in quite good condition . He also said that it was also one of the clearer rivers .
    I've seen some nice yellows and big catfish but caught niether ,only fished there twice for a few hours each on a very high river .
    I did foul hook a moggel ( well at least I think it was ) , looked more like a mullet but i wasn't in durban harbour thats for sure .
    Could you please pm me as to how to get there. Think I might take a drive sometime soon.
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

Can anyone supply some info on fishing on the Suikerbosrand?
    Do you fish within the reserve or on its boundaries?

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Can anyone supply some info on fishing on the Suikerbosrand?
    Do you fish within the reserve or on its boundaries?
    Koos, the one trib of the Suikerbos rises in the hills of the reserve. It is mostly dry with pools except for this time of the year.
    Further down this trib are some very nice "small stream" waters, however every landowner I approached told me straight to F**k OFF.
    They had all had bad experiences ito fisherman, and they refuse to differentiate between ethical f/f and "others".
    This was 2 years ago though, so maybe take a drive and try your luck.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast