Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Smoking fish?

Great tips by Byron. Can see the man knows what he is talking about. I've got the Cameron, and I'm extremely happy with it.

I agree, cleaning is a beeeeeeetch, but I think that probably applies to all of them, or am I mistaken? Byron?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Great tips by Byron. Can see the man knows what he is talking about. I've got the Cameron, and I'm extremely happy with it.

I agree, cleaning is a beeeeeeetch, but I think that probably applies to all of them, or am I mistaken? Byron?
    Yes cleaning it is a bit of a schlep but I don't make it shiny clean everytime I use it, just knock out the charred dust and a quick wash in the dish washer.

When it's really miff use oven cleaner that works pretty well. Mine is pretty black on the inside. Cover the grid with foil that also makes cleaning that part easy and stops the fish from sticking to it.

The bigger one like Korrie describes you don't really need to clean that often, provided you keep the fish juice off the actual smoker, use a foil drip try under the grid and put that on top of the smoke dust. Also foil on the grid.

Smoked chicken on your work sarms... yum. The cameron's smoker is nice for chicken pieces, I sometimes par smoke and the finish them off under the grill or in the oven.

I envy you Cape boys - smoked snoek is the best, bought some off the pier last time I was in kalk bay (cheap and lekka fresh).
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

PS. If anyone is JHB knows where to find some ABU smoker dust please let me know, I haven't seen it for ages. Its the best there is.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Been smoking food for years and always use the trusty old Weber Braai.

One of the best tatstes we get is from using hickory chips that are freely available. My wife brought some Jack Daniel chips home from a trip to the states that gave an unusual but not bad taste. It was better with chicken rather than fish I found.

I regularly smoke marlin and tuna here at home.

One of the key tricks is to not use direct heat.

To test if fish are ready (cooked) stick a toothpick into the flesh. I fit comes out without pieces of flesh stuck onto it, it is ready.

Here's a head of a 60kg yellowfin I got last winter in the weber.
    Absolutely magnificent and you'd be surprised at just how much meat there is in there.

Bunch of mates around with a few frosties and freshly baked bread -

So is the Weber shaving any good? Got some Mesquite chips from Makro the other day.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Mate, not sure about the shavings from Weber.

I use chunks of hickory soaked in water for about an hour beforehand. You can see the piece in the above picture. Burns very slowly and I use the chunks again if they haven't entirely burnt out.

The fire is smallish around the edges and the fish isn't placed directly on the heat.

Mesquite is great for meat and chicken - they used it a lot in Texas when I was there. Just my personal opinion is that it might be a bit strong, but then again, some like it strong. Good luck mate.

Cleaning can be made much easier if you use alum foil.

Well placed it catches all the drippings.

Only the charred remains of the dust have to be knocked out, as have been mentioned before.

all that is left is the grid. nothing that a bit of oven cleaner can't get rid off.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtooth View Post

Mesquite is great for meat and chicken - they used it a lot in Texas when I was there. Just my personal opinion is that it might be a bit strong, but then again, some like it strong. Good luck mate.
    I found it a bit fishy that they mentioned meat, chicken & fish on the same pack

Also bought some hickory chips, whcih they recommend for meat and ribs.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast