Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mielie Bread

Question Mielie Bread

G'day lads,

Hey, does anyone have a really good recipe for mielie bread?
    My wife made some mielie bread for me about 20 years ago and I have just had this hankering for some again. Have tried different ones since then and they just haven't been the same.

She can't find her recipe she used. It was one of those "Afrikaans Famielie Geheime".....so secret that the thing has disappeared with the sands of time!

I have searched the net, but it just doesn't do it justice.

The particular recipe I am after entails steaming the bread when it is covered in tinfoil. Takes about 2 hours from memory to do.

Feel free to PM me or E-mail me if need be.

Go for your life if it's in Afrikaans also.... my missus would kiss you through the computer screen

Cheers blokes.

I looked thru my wife's old maize bread recipes - she's some excellent ones from our travels in USA, Malawi also Aussie but none involving steaming the bread

Will your missus give me a kiss thru the computer screen anyway?!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

You're in luck Kevin, here we go. Enjoy!

750 ml (3 cups) fresh sweetcorn, cut from the cob
    45 ml (3 tablespoons) cake flour
    7,5 ml (1/2 tablespoon) baking powder
    30 ml (2 tablespoons) butter
    15 ml (1 tablespoon) sugar
    5 ml (1 teespoon) salt

1. Mince the corn in a meat mincer or food processor. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.

2. Sprinkle extra cake flour lightly on a damp cloth and spoon the mixture onto it. Fasten, allowing room for the bread to rise. Or turn the mixture into a greased pudding mould or tin with an airtight lid.

3. Steam for 2 hours in boiling water

4. Cut into slices, butter while still hot and serve....YUMMY!!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Here's some tips on steaming

Use commercial moulds or round tins with tight-fitting lids

Round ovenproof glass bowls (even mixing bowls) fitted with a homemade lid can also be used

Greased butter paper or aluminium foil, secured with string or a rubber band, can serve as a lid.

Grease the inside of the mould well with butter or fat before turning in the batter. Also grease the inside of the lid.

Place an inverted saucer or side plate in the saucepan with boiling water. This serves as a sturdy base for the glass bowl or mould.

The mould should not be filled more than two thirds of the way

During the steaming process, the saucepan should contain enough water to cover the mould halfway. Ensure that the water does not boil too rapidly; it should only simmer.

To unmould, place the mould in cold water for a few seconds before turning out.

If preferred, place the steamed bread in a hot oven for about 5 minutes to dry the surface.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Thanks for that Chris -

Missus is all excited, so I'm looking forward to some fresh bread today.
    Have had a leg of lamb marinading so the bread will compliment it nicely.

Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtooth View Post
    Thanks for that Chris -

Missus is all excited, so I'm looking forward to some fresh bread today.
    Have had a leg of lamb marinading so the bread will compliment it nicely.

Cheers mate.
    Only a pleasure boet! Sounds like you are in for a splendid lunch there, I envy you! Enjoy!

are we all invited Kevin?

Jono,

I had some exchanges with Kevin on the PM thingie. Apparently the banquet is being cooked at this moment so you'd better get your skates on!! The thought of the lamb is making me drool over my stale Corn Flakes and lukewarm tea - mind you it will probably improve the taste of both!..

Cheers, Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Jono....bloody hell mate, you should have given me a ring!
    I was a man down in the garden and I needed an extra hand - next time boet...the work is done now! Give us a buzz during the week ay!

Chris Shelton....take a bow old boy!
    The mieleie bread was sensational. Only thing for the next time I would go half on the salt quantity. Other than that - bloody awesome.
    Marisa is impressed so that's a leave pass for the rest of the week!

I'm sorry blokes I have no idea how to make the pictures smaller in those thumbnail size things and apologise for the big pictures. Being old has it's advantages.....
    Last edited by Kevin James; 15-03-09 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtooth View Post
    Jono....bloody hell mate, you should have given me a ring!
    I was a man down in the garden and I needed an extra hand - next time boet...the work is done now! Give us a buzz during the week ay!

Chris Shelton....take a bow old boy!
    The mieleie bread was sensational. Only thing for the next time I would go half on the salt quantity. Other than that - bloody awesome.
    Marisa is impressed so that's a leave pass for the rest of the week!

I'm sorry blokes I have no idea how to make the pictures smaller in those thumbnail size things and apologise for the big pictures. Being old has it's advantages.....
    WOW, that looks really amazing!!! I cant' really take credit though boet, I simply transcribed the recipe out of my kitchen bible, "Cook and Enjoy It" or "Kook en Geniet". So popular has this book proven to be over the past 48 years in South African than it has gone to more than 20 reprints already. Get one for Marisa, you won't be sorry! So delighted will she be that she may well just give you a bit more than a weeks leave pass!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast