Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Leaders

Well that's why I changed from using a bimini or a boiled butt segment of my largie leader to using straight or tapered fluoro (or mono in a pinch) and also supplanted my old Cortlant 444 Clear Intermediate with a Sixth Sense Core line.

You feel _everyting_ with that combo, it's a little disconcerting at first, you think every little bump against a rock or grass in the river, which previously would have gone unnoticed or undetected, is a knock and get the fright of a lifetime when you do get a hit from a grootbek.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Hi Guys

have you ever tried Doudle x Hi-abraision or Suffix for leaders?

Booger Rose Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Janse van Rensburg View Post
    Hi Guys

MHO is that these lines are to soft. Maxima turns the fly over nicely. Haven't tried to boil it yet, must give it a try sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    MHO is that these lines are to soft. Maxima turns the fly over nicely. Haven't tried to boil it yet, must give it a try sometime.
    Agreed , smaller diam. line probably best suited for tippet.

Maxima definitely the bomb especially that bit of stretch after boiling it !

guys what are your opinions on the explorer 9ft mono tapered leaders? they cost like R20 each and to me they work great. i've mostly used them for big flies (0x for bass) and in the vaal (2x-4x). sometimes i cut the first foot or so off the butt section coz the knot of the perfection loop becomes a bit bulky. i then add fluoro tippet section, normally two diameters of between 50cm and 100cm each. i've never used them to cast small nr 20 flies and now i need to. hope it will work. i sometimes also buy double x's leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques O Dell View Post
    guys what are your opinions on the explorer 9ft mono tapered leaders? they cost like R20 each and to me they work great. i've mostly used them for big flies (0x for bass) and in the vaal (2x-4x). sometimes i cut the first foot or so off the butt section coz the knot of the perfection loop becomes a bit bulky. i then add fluoro tippet section, normally two diameters of between 50cm and 100cm each. i've never used them to cast small nr 20 flies and now i need to. hope it will work. i sometimes also buy double x's leaders.
    I have been using the Explorer leaders for trout fishing for years with no problems. Recently tried some of the Stealth ones and also had no problems.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

I cannot buy Stroft tippet material in Bloem and want to order some from Craig.Anyone fimiliar with this product.I find xplorer tippet a bit "hard" if thats the term,especially for dry flying.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    I cannot buy Stroft tippet material in Bloem and want to order some from Craig.Anyone fimiliar with this product.I find xplorer tippet a bit "hard" if thats the term,especially for dry flying.
    I use the Stroft GTM for my dry fly fishing on small streams, people either love or hate it for this, Stroft is very supple and some find that this makes it difficult to get the fly to turn over. Though if you get your setup right, this could work in you benefit by creating a bit slack in you tippet and increasing your drag free drift.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Janse van Rensburg View Post
    Hi Guys

Yup, I use the Double X Plat+ 9lb for yellows and 7lb for lake/dam trout. Fantastic stuff, super limp and super strong!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques O Dell View Post
    Try the new Stealth leaders instead. Also around R 18.00 or so...and WAY better than Xplorer's leaders.
    I buy 0X leaders...then snip off 30 - 40cm of the butt (it's too thick), and then add tippet as required.
    For R 18.00 it's a bargain, and no need to sit up building leaders anymore. Plus it's knotless of course, another bonus.

PS: Of course this is for trout in stillwaters, yellows on the Vaal and Sterkies, etc.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast