Thread: First saltwater fish on fly in NZ

Default First saltwater fish on fly in NZ

I finally got a chance to do a bit of saltwater flyfishing in NZ. I have been threatening to get into this facet of the sport, but have been distracted by some excellent trout waters. My only previous saltwater experience was in SA, fishing for leeries and kob.

We were on holiday in Raglan over Easter so I decided to head down to the Raglan estuary and see if I could hook into a Kahawai or two, or maybe even a flounder. I hit the water at 7am on Sunday, first half of the incoming tide, and fished the likely water I could access from the shore, a km or 2 from the mouth. Nothing doing for the first half an hour or so and then I found some interesting looking flats just starting to receive the tide. I cast into a slightly deeper adjacent chanel, let the clouser sink, 2 strips then a definite take. Despite my feeble trouty strike, I managed to connect to the fish and then all hell broke loose. The fish took me into my backing twice and I had to run backwards to take in the slack when it turned towards me.

After a magic fight that probably went 5 minutes I managed to beach the fish and was surprised to find that it was a very nice silver trevally. I know that the juveniles hang around estuaries, but didn't think that the adults fed in such shallow water. I kept the fish for breakfast; on gutting it was full of small crab parts.

This saltwater fly thing sure is fun. I must do it again soon.

Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Welcome to the addiction
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Well done Kevin
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Nice one Kevin.
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

Great to be rewarded for your effort in new surrounds, well done!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Very nice meneer And not even all that far for you to drive...
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton