Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sometimes Fly Fishing just can't do it

Pierre, re kraai nes ... Suffix round braid aka "Casting Braid" wound onto the spool under slight tension is the way to go my friend

Don't get the flat or angular braids ... they suck.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Booger Rose Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi Guys

I went out for my first session with my spinning outfit. Late Saturday afternoon on a pushing tide. Made one cast which resulted in a huge kraai nes, I clearly need some practice first before heading out to sea. Quickly fetched my fly rod and headed out. Picked up a nice Elf, which I kept for the pan, I could have landed more but I didn’t have a bag to keep the fish. There are plenty hungry Elf around, this was by far my biggest Elf, I know there are even bigger ones, next time, will see what the conditions are like Wednesday, will report back...

Cheers
    Hi Pierre, just curious to know what spinning set-up you got. If you casted a kraaines with a koffiemeul, then you deserve it!

Hahaha, ja no not that bad huh, it’s a Penn500 and I cant tell you the name of the rod now

Experienced a similar situatiuon last year. Took Delboy to the coast last July after telling him about "the shad run". Shad were thick 63 m out in a 32 knot westerly wind. Sat on the beach and watched the sard and spoon guy's catch.

Bought a 10" Kingfisher 3 piece rod and a bag of spoons and a buff.

Booger Rose Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Hahaha, ja no not that bad huh, it’s a Penn500 and I cant tell you the name of the rod now
    The good old Jigmaster - those babies cast major big Kraaineste but must still be the number one reel with wich every R&S fisherman started out with. Have two of them myself.

Go and buy yourself the Daiwa Sealine 30 and put it on a Shimano Exage 10 or 11 footer - best light setup ever - from spinning to casting for a galjoen in the white water. Are you going out on Wednesdaymorning? - would like to maybe join you. Otherwise I'm of to Macassar again to pump some Maanskynwurm and try to catch a galjoen or belman.

Anyone need a fishing partner, I will brink my spin stick as well
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Booger Rose Banned User

You can join any time at Macassar, not a spinning spot. Maybe we must organise a trippie to the reefs around Strand for Wednesday or over the weekend. Low tide is early morning - should be perfect if the weather permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    You can join any time at Macassar, not a spinning spot. Maybe we must organise a trippie to the reefs around Strand for Wednesday or over the weekend. Low tide is early morning - should be perfect if the weather permits.
    Its my B-day on saturday so unfortunatly the day will be taken up by a big braai and some well deserved beers. Maybe on Sunday...
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by 1in10 View Post
    Bought a 10" Kingfisher 3 piece rod and a bag of spoons and a buff.
    ...and still caught bugger all!! Dude, I keep telling you - it's not the rod....

"Is that the new G.Loomis??? Wow! How much is that??

Oh, look, the new Stealth......."

I see the wind is dropping tomorrow, its blasting right now. not too sure if i will still be going, but i might just, If you PM me then i'll give you a ring in the morning then we can chat about it, would be nice to meet up and get some fish, plenty of Elf around

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    The good old Jigmaster - those babies cast major big Kraaineste but must still be the number one reel with wich every R&S fisherman started out with. Have two of them myself.

Go and buy yourself the Daiwa Sealine 30 and put it on a Shimano Exage 10 or 11 footer - best light setup ever - from spinning to casting for a galjoen in the white water. Are you going out on Wednesdaymorning? - would like to maybe join you. Otherwise I'm of to Macassar again to pump some Maanskynwurm and try to catch a galjoen or belman.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2