Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buffelspoort dam

Default Buffelspoort dam

Hi guys. Have anyone fished at buffelspoort dam before esp at the inlet and the section above the dam (think it is the sterkstroom river)? Was at mountain sanctuary park last weekend. The streams flowing into the dam is crystal clear and it must be awesome to hunt fish there. i'm keen on trying it out, but i'm not sure to whom the section of river above the dam belongs? any ideas?

I recently stayed at Sparkling Waters and got a few small yellows in the Sterkspruit on their property. I last fished Buffelspoort in 1970 and got my first muddie on fly!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Use to live in Mooinooi for a couple of years, we only fished for bass in Buffelspoort, but I think your chances are good for a yellow or two.
    Fish - Where?.................................het hom!!!!

Eish! Didn't have a good day at bufflespoort today. Firstly we had a moer of a walk from the campsite to the inflow. The little sterkstroom is not realy fishable. Saw a couple of yellows in the river (roughly 30cm) but they were not taking anything. Only a stretch of river about 30m that was fishable. Cought a tiny largemouth (bass...) but no smallscales. At the dam there was lots of activity on the water. Don't know what they were. I'm sure one could fish the dam like sterkies with a dead drift terrestrial. Thing is there is too much activity around the camping area. Cought a small bloukurper in the dam. Happy that I tried it out but rate there are much better trips to do...

There is BIG carp (I think at one stage it held the SA record) and bass. Never heard of yellows in the dam. Could be the best news in a long time.

Went to Buffelspoort today. Worst choice ever. They had some boating day and the dam was ridden with boats, kids with paddle ski's going back and forth across the bank. Loud music and pissed carp fisherman who I countless times had to explain to what I was doing as they have only heard about fly fishing. Mostly the question, does this work?

The dam I found out does hold yellows but are more difficult to catch than at Sterkies. I have however found out that float tubing is the answer there and Bass tipping the scales close to 4kg's come out.

But not today.

Incidently there was one sober fisherman who also enjoys flyfishing. We now have a 6th companion for fly tying evenings. Alas the day was not a total waste.
    Last edited by wernerm; 04-12-11 at 08:35 PM.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Unfortunately Buffelspoortdam has become a hang out of dronkgatte, jetski cowboys and the Eminem fanclub. It is just not worth going unless your boat got some serious "pull" my ou!

The stream above the dam, and below Mountain Sanctionery, is also a shaddow of what it used to be. It is overgrown by reeds and small 15cm bass has taken over the last little pools holding a decent pool of water. Masses of reeds and bluegums now line the river and you will also find the local people using the river for washing clothes and general cleaning just before it reaches the dam.

My friend owns property next to the dam and I go there once a month. I dont even bother taking a rod with anymore - unless you have some kaphom mieliebomme and the latest Eminen cd.

Thank goodness there are two other options a mere 50 k's due west that are worth the time and effort. Fewer dronkgatte and much more to catch as the dams are catch and release.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Unfortunately Buffelspoortdam has become a hang out of dronkgatte, jetski cowboys and the Eminem fanclub. It is just not worth going unless your boat got some serious "pull" my ou!

The stream above the dam, and below Mountain Sanctionery, is also a shaddow of what it used to be. It is overgrown by reeds and small 15cm bass has taken over the last little pools holding a decent pool of water. Masses of reeds and bluegums now line the river and you will also find the local people using the river for washing clothes and general cleaning just before it reaches the dam.

My friend owns property next to the dam and I go there once a month. I dont even bother taking a rod with anymore - unless you have some kaphom mieliebomme and the latest Eminen cd.
    I went out there with my boet and the little heron, was good fun, we got some bass, the biggest being about 1.5kg.

Irrespective of the dam dykers and riff-raff...when last did you see small baitfish in their thousands cruising in the shallows taking shelter in the submerged vegitation and so on. That is a sign of a healthy dam...just an observation we made. We have been to countless places where you do not see that at all.
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

FlyFanatic Banned User

Visit during the week when the dam duikers are at work?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast