Thread: Bivane river

Default Bivane river

HI

Anyone fished the Bivane river near Paulpietersburg, I am going to Natal Spa next weekend wondering if I should take my rod?

Cheers

Mike
    Don't get confused with my personality and my
    attitude...my personality is who I am...my attitude
    depends on who you are.....

Quote Originally Posted by mikesch View Post
    HI

Anyone fished the Bivane river near Paulpietersburg, I am going to Natal Spa next weekend wondering if I should take my rod?

Cheers

Mike
    If there is water, take your rod.

I have no idea of what you will find, maybe scalies, maybe sm yellows, maybe even trout.

Actually if I remember correctly there is an ad for someplace on the Bivane in one pf the f/f mags or in Stywe Lyne.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

http://www.openafrica.org/participan...ne-river-lodge

they say trout and "tellowtail" parhaps they mean yellow fish

May to September is generally considered closed season for trout in rivers in SA.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Hi mike.

I have fished the Bivane near utreght a few times. There is trout in the section that I've fished and we got some got sized ones too. But as Byron says, the season for trout in rivers is closed!
    Last edited by Jimbi; 11-05-09 at 08:59 AM.
    "When you on the river, ocean or in the woods, you are the closest to the truth you'll ever get." - Jack Leonard

I had a couple of hours on the Bivane last Friday afternoon while staying at Waterloo. With the heavy rains it was going like a rocket but running clear. Following a period of low rainfall in the area over the past couple of years, the trout took a serious knock. Good news is that it has been (lightly) restocked again & that Natal Yellows have been seen in the river a little lower down from where we fished. Two of us fished nymphs & one a streamer. The streamer was more successful - two fish hooked (but both lost). The two us on nymphs both blanked. However, the farmer at Waterloo said that the previous weekend 6 trout had been hooked - all on streamers fished through the deep pools. It bodes well for the return of this river as a fly fishing opportunity.

My mate fishing the head of a pool.
    2013-04-05 16.20.43 (800x450).jpg
    Mike Mitchley

Good to hear one of my home rivers is returning to its former glory. A few years back there was a suspected chem spill by the forestry companies higher up, which also screwed up the fishing because the water was perfect, not running low and not even scalies around.
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?