Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Natal Yellowfish (Scaly)

Lightbulb Natal Yellowfish (Scaly)

Maybe I'm wrong... I did a search but didn't find much info on this species...I was wondering if anyone with ANY experience with these fish could enlighten me, and I'm sure alot of other forumers...

How different to the smallmouth yellow are these fish in terms of feeding habits during the different seasons? From what I've heard, winter is the best time as the water vis is very poor during the summer months. Hearing this, I decided to try a private spot on the Buffalo this weekend as the water clarity has improved ALOT (maybe too much) over the past few weeks! Usually the vis is a few cm's, and yesterday it was at least a metre! I found a small section of rapids at the tail end of a deep pool with a rocky bottom and deeper glides behind it. The depth was between 1-2m. My brother and friends have caught them in the deep pool before on pap, so I was sure that I had a good chance to get my first one on fly...But nothings for sure in fishing. I gave it a good hour or so as time was min, but I didn't get a touch..I tried nymphing with fairly longish casts. Drifting the rapids and glides...I saw absolutely no activity around the rapids, it was mainly the carp doing their thing in the deeper pools!

Any idea on what I was doing wrong? Should I look for deeper water next time? Any help would be fantastic...2cents welcome!
    "When you on the river, ocean or in the woods, you are the closest to the truth you'll ever get." - Jack Leonard

I should probably not comment at all, as I have not yet tried for them, whould love to but just have not yet had the opportunity.

The newest FOSAF Favoured Flies and Techniques of the Experts has got seriously good information on these fish.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

also some articles in the local magazines.think there was one in tcff a month or 2 ago
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Hey guys,
    thanks for the replies! Looks like there's not many forumers who have had the opportunity to target them. Pieter is it the FOSAF flavoured flies VOL 4? Is this the latest book?
    Stephen, any idea how I can get hold of this issue?
    Appreciate the help!
    "When you on the river, ocean or in the woods, you are the closest to the truth you'll ever get." - Jack Leonard

Check the TCFF site for backissues, also check previous years, there was some info on Scalies in previous years.

The problem is that due to the discolouration of the rivers in that area when it's raining, mostly it's only really effective to target them in the dead of winter when the water clears a bit.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Hey Scythe, Thanks for the help, I was actually just checking the TCFF website now. Looks like there is quite a few issues with info. I tried on Sunday for the first time, water was clear (1m vis)...Maybe in the wrong spot, or technique is poor Will be reading up on the species alot during the next few weeks. Will get another chance in July sometime, so need to be equiped...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbi View Post
    Pieter is it the FOSAF flavoured flies VOL 4? Is this the latest book?
    Yes, that is the one I am refering to.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Could someone post a picture of this elusive fish.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Check this the SA Flyfishing mag for may/jun. There's an article on Scalies.

Sorry Nicolas, I have a picture in a book but still wanting a photo of my own Hopefully sometime this winter I can post a photo for you

I will be reading up as much as I can on all the info you guys have given...

Feel free to share your experiences here, would love to learn from the guys who have caught!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast