Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best Tip 2009

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Haha, blerry typo's... I meant start typing! Spare no details!

read WC Stream report back

Maybe a bit silly but. On my wading stick (old broom stick) I use on the Vaal I made rings with my leatherman for measuring fish length.
    The first ring is 30cm from the bottom carved into the wading stick and then more rings, one every 5cm's apart. When I catch a fish I quickly hold it up against my wading stick and I know the exact length of the fish (No need to measure it against my rod). And yes, I do make notches as a benchmark everytime I catch a "longer" fish.
    It is like trying to break the wading stick record everytime I go fishing.
    Last edited by redhumpy; 28-05-09 at 09:45 AM.

Redhumpy, with all respect I think your's is a lousy idea. Your system means there's no room for bending of the truth!!! Actually that is seriously a good idea
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

AHHH Chris - there is plenty room. I also have a telescopic wading stick and sometimes I forget to extend it all the way. I mark the fish length and at home when I show it to my wife I extend it all the way.....

NOW you're talking!!!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Great idea Redhumpy!!! Will be notching mine A.S.A.P!
    Anothe idea for the wading sticks, I bought some motorcycle grips but have also tried normal bicycle grips to great effect. Just slide them over the broomstick with the two outside ''ribs'' facing each other in the middle of the now double handed non slip grip! I also drilled a hole into the stick under the grip and thats where I have threaded the rope. THe grips hold the rope down nice and tight and the rope forms a vertical rib towards the top of the handle for added control.

Beats slippery tape by a mile...
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

Thats a good idea, I used a walking/hiking stick I got made in Hogsback. The only problem with it is when the wood gets wet, it goes all slimy for some reason. was gona try find some of that tennis racket material grip tape stuff. but bike grips will be good cause they wont vrot if left wet.
    Cheers
    Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by SaGixer View Post
    Great idea Redhumpy!!! Will be notching mine A.S.A.P!
    Anothe idea for the wading sticks, I bought some motorcycle grips but have also tried normal bicycle grips to great effect. Just slide them over the broomstick with the two outside ''ribs'' facing each other in the middle of the now double handed non slip grip! I also drilled a hole into the stick under the grip and thats where I have threaded the rope. THe grips hold the rope down nice and tight and the rope forms a vertical rib towards the top of the handle for added control.

Beats slippery tape by a mile...

best wading stick I have is half a pole-vault pole - fitted on the end with the original rubber (not THAT rubber Mr Williams).

100% non-slip and VERY strong.

I store my rod IN it while walking in so it doubles as a rod tube.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Carry a long handle, wide rimmed net on the Vaal and streams. It looks cumbersome but it works a charm. Especially with the 10' rods.

Spandex and hockey shin/knee guards is the only way to wade the Vaal!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

I get the spandex part - but wouldn't I look silly if I wear knee guards with this?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast